• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stand-off with accident repair garage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
    Just relay what you've said in this thread to your insurers, if your policy is halfway decent it'll include provision for a loan car paid for under your policy that you can keep until you are happy with the repairs to your car.

As for what rights you have to 'keep' the courtesy car provided by the repairers - none, its provided as a courtesy.

Basically just let your insurance Co deal with the mess, its what you pay them for and what they are good at, don't go bothering with arguing with the garage yourself or keeping their car hostage.
    The problem being I have to keep their car hostage while they have mine - otherwise I have to accept my car back which clearly has visible faults, and I question how safe it will be given my lack of confidence that it has been proerly checked out.

If only they did things right before trying to return it to me. I know all workshops are busy just now with the weather, but no excuses for doing half a job!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      The problem being I have to keep their car hostage while they have mine - otherwise I have to accept my car back which clearly has visible faults
      Why?

Its really not for you to argue with them, just explain to your insurers that you are not happy with the repair and you have been placed in an awkward position of being without transport and having to use a car supplied to you by the garage you are unhappy with.

Your insurers will sort you out a car, liaise with the garage on your behalf and get it moved to another garage if needed.

you are completely right to refuse a repair that you are not 100% happy with, otherwise you'll be shafted once it comes time to sell the car!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        There's a good chance it was The One Show where I heard it, I was mutitasking at the time. Is The One Show still as good as it was with Adrian and Cristine?
        I wouldn't know, I don't pay attention to it if it is on, am usually doing summat else if it happens to be on in the background
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Wilmsloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow,

won't this car now be a Cat D and will you have problems to sell it in the future ?

On top of this, driving a car which has already been in a smash, doesn't that make the
          car weaker for the future - time for a replacement ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Is The One Show still as good as it was with Adrian and Cristine?
            It's like Have I Got News For You when Angus left.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Excellent news - Good old LV have arranged for an independant engineer to inspect - he will be calling me shortly, so the helpful text message says, anyway......

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

won't this car now be a Cat D and will you have problems to sell it in the future ?

On top of this, driving a car which has already been in a smash, doesn't that make the

Milan.
                Oh, Gosh, don't get me any more neurotic than I already am!!

Comment

Milan.
                  No CAT D is only for write offs (where the car is taken by the insurance company and the owner is sent a cheque).

One reason why I'm happy to buy a CAT D car is that it is more likely to have been repaired properly compared to a car that has been in an accident and repaired cheaply.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

'One reason why I'm happy to buy a CAT D car is that it is more likely to have been repaired properly '

why do you think Cat D means the car has been repaired properly ?

Milan.

Comment

'One reason why I'm happy to buy a CAT D car is that it is more likely to have been repaired properly '

why do you think Cat D means the car has been repaired properly ?

Milan.
                      Because to get a Cat D car back on the road it has to undergo a safety inspection by an independent engineer, where as a normal repair does not.

Comment

Working...
                      X