• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lock up your data, the Govt is coming!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded
    There are several.

It is my business to know this.

No, people pay me lots of money to tell them, why should I give it to you for free?
    Oh! It's your business to know this, is it?

What business is that then?

Do you work for MI6 or something?
    Did MS run it by you first before they implemented this backdoor?
    Why did they need several backdoors?
    Are you James Bond perhaps?

You, my friend, are FULL OF IT!

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
      tell you what - I'll write em all down for you!!

And yes, people do write for the powerpc but read the post again and you'll notice it doesn't mention malware written for that platform, merely the proliferation of malware written for Intel which could run on the new Intel based macs.
      Again:

What aspects of the PPC architecture prevent the execution of malware?

Simple enough question.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

On the other hand the next generation of malware is likely to be targetted at the BIOS level.

The newer Intel based BIOS releases conatin more and more high level functionality that can potentially be expoited. PPC architecture will not be vulnerable to the same threat vectors. BIOS Malware for PPC based systems will arrive eventually but only after the easy pickings in the Intel world have been fixed. Pretty much the same cycle as the current OS/Application based Malware we have today.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Your focus is wrong bogeyman, you're trying to answer a question that never got asked...
          Last edited by ratewhore; 15 February 2006, 14:17. Reason: it was a bit rude
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
            Your focus is wrong bogeyman, you're trying to answer a question that never got asked...
            Well pardon my focus old boy - should have gone to Specsavers!

So, what you're saying is that malware written for Intel platforms wont run on PPC? Wow! Who'd have thought it?

I don't see that it follows that all the malware written for Windows will somewhow migrate to OS X just because it's running on Intel metal.

I'm getting a Macbook Pro (bloody awful name) as soon as I can. Certainly wouldn't buy a G4 Powerbook at this point.

Not worried about OS X malware - but then I don't worry about it much on my WinTel gear either.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
              On the other hand the next generation of malware is likely to be targetted at the BIOS level.

The newer Intel based BIOS releases conatin more and more high level functionality that can potentially be expoited. PPC architecture will not be vulnerable to the same threat vectors. BIOS Malware for PPC based systems will arrive eventually but only after the easy pickings in the Intel world have been fixed. Pretty much the same cycle as the current OS/Application based Malware we have today.
              Yeah - see what you're saying Dave but Intel Macs use EFI not BIOS.

Do you think EFI functionality would offer the same level of exposure?

Comment

EFI and security are connected by marketing droids because of scare stories about BIOS viruses.

There is no extra security in EFI, and infact if a virus got into the EFI it would be able to hide itself completely from the OS, and do lots of other wonderful things like spread itself when your machine was "switched off".

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

EFI? Electronic Fuel Injection?

Comment

Well, I guess the 'I' got in there 'cause of the 'I' factor that sales people are hung up on.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                      EFI and security are connected by marketing droids because of scare stories about BIOS viruses.

There is no extra security in EFI, and infact if a virus got into the EFI it would be able to hide itself completely from the OS, and do lots of other wonderful things like spread itself when your machine was "switched off".

HTH

Oh, you truly know it all don't you Threaded !!

You are a fecking expert in everthing under the sun and assume that everyone else knows jack.

Seen a million of you, boy!

Hard day's Googling was it?

Comment

Working...
                      X