• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lock up your data, the Govt is coming!"

Collapse

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Erm, whats to stop you running Windows XP under an emulator, or simply using a Linux machine, or even your bloody mobile phone, to download 'protected content'...

Seems daft to have gone to so much trouble.... how many motherboard manufacturers target the 'overclocking' market...? how long to bypass any security offered by 'Vista'?

I already use VideoLAN... and Azureous... but I make a living from MS... odd that....

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    You might want to have him "seen to", you know, just to prevent any little mishaps
    No worries!

"When he tries to feck the cat - the cat will see to that"

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist
    bogeman

do you need a tramp as well ?
    Sure EO!

Do you mind living in the woodshed and chopping the odd log or two?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    Ok.

The Jobs your's then - just don't try and feck the cat - he's bigger than you.

You might want to have him "seen to", you know, just to prevent any little mishaps

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    bogeman

do you need a tramp as well ?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    a - Ohhhh Yessssss (Barring the occasional "accident" when I'm not well)

b - Two Jehovah's Witnesses a month and the odd giant lizard as a treat should see me right!

c - See answer "a"
    Ok.

The Jobs your's then - just don't try and feck the cat - he's bigger than you.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Depends on: -

a) are you housetrained?

b) how much do you cost to feed per week?

c) can you sell insurance?

a - Ohhhh Yessssss (Barring the occasional "accident" when I'm not well)

b - Two Jehovah's Witnesses a month and the odd giant lizard as a treat should see me right!

c - See answer "a"

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    I like you! Do you need a dog?
    Depends on: -

a) are you housetrained?

b) how much do you cost to feed per week?

c) can you sell insurance?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Oh, you truly know it all don't you Threaded !!

You are a fecking expert in everthing under the sun and assume that everyone else knows jack.

Seen a million of you, boy!

Hard day's Googling was it?
    I like you! Do you need a dog?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    EFI and security are connected by marketing droids because of scare stories about BIOS viruses.

There is no extra security in EFI, and infact if a virus got into the EFI it would be able to hide itself completely from the OS, and do lots of other wonderful things like spread itself when your machine was "switched off".

HTH

Oh, you truly know it all don't you Threaded !!

You are a fecking expert in everthing under the sun and assume that everyone else knows jack.

Seen a million of you, boy!

Hard day's Googling was it?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Well, I guess the 'I' got in there 'cause of the 'I' factor that sales people are hung up on.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    replied
    EFI? Electronic Fuel Injection?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    EFI and security are connected by marketing droids because of scare stories about BIOS viruses.

There is no extra security in EFI, and infact if a virus got into the EFI it would be able to hide itself completely from the OS, and do lots of other wonderful things like spread itself when your machine was "switched off".

HTH

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    On the other hand the next generation of malware is likely to be targetted at the BIOS level.

The newer Intel based BIOS releases conatin more and more high level functionality that can potentially be expoited. PPC architecture will not be vulnerable to the same threat vectors. BIOS Malware for PPC based systems will arrive eventually but only after the easy pickings in the Intel world have been fixed. Pretty much the same cycle as the current OS/Application based Malware we have today.
    Yeah - see what you're saying Dave but Intel Macs use EFI not BIOS.

Do you think EFI functionality would offer the same level of exposure?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    Your focus is wrong bogeyman, you're trying to answer a question that never got asked...
    Well pardon my focus old boy - should have gone to Specsavers!

So, what you're saying is that malware written for Intel platforms wont run on PPC? Wow! Who'd have thought it?

I don't see that it follows that all the malware written for Windows will somewhow migrate to OS X just because it's running on Intel metal.

I'm getting a Macbook Pro (bloody awful name) as soon as I can. Certainly wouldn't buy a G4 Powerbook at this point.

Not worried about OS X malware - but then I don't worry about it much on my WinTel gear either.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X