• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kindle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kandr View Post
    OK ill take that as you giving up, I was expecting more of a fight, disappointing.
    Yes you are correct in this assumption - I am giving up. I know I should try harder - but you are really not worth the effort.
    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Whereas you have provided solid facts? No, you've provided your own even more unverified opinions without even trying to justify them. You should get yourself involved in more global-warming threads, you'd fit right in.

PS Who asked you anyway?
      Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
      Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Assuming the Kindle is the benchmark for e-book readers, how does the ipad compare? I'm not talking price but fit for purpose/quality etc?

I'm torn between the one device for all vs the actually does a decent job dilema. I really don't want to have to carry another device & charger on trips. Much like photos... you can use a mobile to take them but the quality is nowhere near the same as with a 'real' camera.

So, is an ipad any good compared to a kindle specifically for reading books?

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
          I recommend reading the thread first.

plus
          Don't they use any of those nasty chemicals making those clean and fluffy plastics? and Kimbles don't need petrochemicals in their transport?

If you want a Kimble go and buy one - but if you honestly think that buying them is in anyway green I pity you.
          You are getting confused.

This is a Kimble:

(irritating fat German faux-hacker)

This is a Kindle:

(eBook reader)
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Also worth remembering that with the Kindle you get free unlimited internets via the built in AT&T 3G SIM.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              You are getting confused.

This is a Kimble:

(irritating fat German faux-hacker)
              And not to be further confused with Ralph Kimball!
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                And not to be further confused with Ralph Kimball!
                Indeed. I was going to add him in but thought the post would have got a bit long. Here he is, the man himself:

So the spectrum goes something like:

Kimball <----Least like an eBook reader
                Kimble
                Kindle <----Most like an eBook reader

Comment

I buy books.

Cheaper, easier to read, and pass them on when you've finished (or don't worry if you leave them on the train/in the hotel).

Clever things they've been around for a while.
                  WHS.

Also I think electronic readers with a network connection are a secret ploy to centrally control information (1984 style). If information isn't permanently stored as a hardcopy in your bookcase, history can one day be changed centrally to fit whatever ideals our government (probably a Labour one) want us to be believe

Comment

Don't they use any of those nasty chemicals making those clean and fluffy plastics? and Kimbles don't need petrochemicals in their transport?
                    I explained this in detail already. This just backs up my suspicion that reading isn't your strong point. However to give you a fighting chance:

1 Kindle uses a small amount of plastic, and a small amount of transport-related resources
                    100 Paper books require a lot of chemicals, and approx 100X as much transport resources

I realise you might take a lifetime to read 100 books, but not the rest of us.

It's pretty staggering that your besting by kandr is not just a lucky blow... I wouldn't have thought it possible but the longer you carry on these trollish arguments, the closer you come to making him genuinely look witty.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I got mine a few weeks back, after seeing how much the missus enjoyed hers.

Highly recommend it (the small one though, its fits nicely into a coat pocket, the DX is a little large).

Highlights.

- Instant delivery plus free reads of first chapters to try a book out.

- Get the 3g version, 3g access is free worldwide and the built in browser can cope with mobile versions of sites pretty well. gmail, greader bbc etc. Very useful when abroad to avoid crazy 3g charges.

- Newspapers. Not the same experience as the real thing but no need to get out of bed on a sunday morning. Plus, here in new york the london times is 1.49 usd compared to 6 or 7 bucks from the newstand. again, very handy on holiday.

- erm. Piratebay, if you are into that sort of thing. Lots of books on there for you to "borrow". Use with Calibre (its like itunes for books) and it will handle the conversion from pdf. Or email the pdf to amazon and it will do it for you. Kindle will read pdfs, but I find native format works much better.

- battery life. Goes for ever between charges. Like weeks and weeks.

For me, its a great gadget, cant recommend it enough for the cheap price. 149 quid is it now?

For those who argue for books, i would say its a dumb point. You can still own books as well. Something like a cookbook is always nice to have a hard copy, lots of pics etc. I now have the option of doing both, and don't have to take a pile of tulipe to the charity shop each year due to Mrs. Ps chicklit habit.

Buy one, you wont regret it.
                      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Working...
                      X