• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

20 Years For This

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Fingers crossed the market picks up for you next year, if you've got a months notice you should be OK.
    even with one month notice or 4 weeks some agents wont take you seriously as they want someone available now as I'm finding to my costs.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
      Twenty years as a contractor are about to come to an end. The war chest can't continue to fund my fishing habit so needs must and all that. The "contract of employment" sits signed on my desk and only needs to be posted.

Any advice?
      [Looks up, checks name of forum. Ahhhh General]

Yep. Pack your balls up and put them in a box, you won't need those where you're going!

Spit!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I have no intention of closing the company since it is still required by parse2.com and other income streams. I am going to take it easy for now, swap the car seat for a train seat, and see what the new year brings.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Yep. Pack your balls up and put them in a box, you won't need those where you're going!

Spit!
          Still sore about the deposits my children left in those chinese vases in your Windsor tat shop?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            even with one month notice or 4 weeks some agents wont take you seriously as they want someone available now as I'm finding to my costs.
            I don't condone it, but you can always go sick the moment you hand in notice. Alternatively, having some holiday to spare can help effectively turn a 4 week notice to 2 weeks/
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I don't condone it, but you can always go sick the moment you hand in notice. Alternatively, having some holiday to spare can help effectively turn a 4 week notice to 2 weeks/
              Some people can be flexible on notice and as d00hg says holiday does help. I have seen some roles recently saying 2-4 weeks, it seems that some companies are willing to wait for the right people.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
                Sorry but I have just posted the signed contract of employment (spit). The daily commute to London beckons.
                Where are you gonna be working, you can pretend to be a contractor and come out for a beer with us.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I don't need to pretend and the tattoo is for life!

A short distance from London Bridge.

Mine will be a sloe gin please.

Comment

If your role isn't massively senior (i.e. not a director) you'll find that a probation period will generally last 3-6 months. Notice period from both parties is typically 1 week, but can sometimes be a little bit more.

Added to that, not many companies want you hanging around if you hand your notice in during your probation period, particularly if you work in IT.

The permie role I left to go contracting was horrific. I'd left a fantastic permie job to join it, but hated it. After about two months, I gave my one week's notice, but they let me go there and then and still paid me for the extra week's notice as they're obliged to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X