• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My retirement dream

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    click on 'never going to retire' , you windbag

look Dad,

it depends what you mean by retirement dunnit

running a pub ain't retirement

anywayz, try it and let us know like

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      look Dad,

it depends what you mean by retirement dunnit

running a pub ain't retirement

anywayz, try it and let us know like

Milan.
      lol. sorry son.

I have heard it said, 'when I retire I will run a pub'
      also
      'I will run a guest house'

takes all sorts

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You missed out playing Duane Eddie guitar instrumentals or Jazz on a luxury cruise ship.

I'm doing Rockabilly now in smokey pubs, so it's Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Stray Cats stuff, see how it goes, but playing guitar instrumentals, with one of those big beautiful ornamental old fashioned "Grandad" Jazz guitars, will be how I will be spending my retirement. Playing for the, retired rich famous and beautiful people, in the appropriate luxurious surroundings, cruising round the Bahamas and wearing a white Tuxedo and bow tie in the evening, surrounded by a double bass, and a grand piano, or saxophone. I think one of my guitars on the ship will also be white, possibly a Gretsch white falcon, and just ocasionally where everyone is in a "dance mood" get out and do "Rock around the Clock".

Having played until the early hours of the evening without having to transport a sound system to the pub, I could then have a few Martinis, shaken not stirred, (naturally having played the James Bond theme earlier in the evening) and get up about mid day swim up and down the pool , and sit in a deck chair, with a glass of champagne.

Still I have to work on my reputation, leaning every chord and every scale under the sun at break neck speed...if I want to get on that cruise liner.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 November 2010, 13:19.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          You missed out playing Duane Eddie guitar instrumentals on a luxury cruise ship, or maybe Jazz.

I'm doing Rockabilly now in smokey pubs, so it's Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Stray Cats stuff, see how it goes, but playing guitar instrumentals, with one of those big beautiful ornamental old fashioned "Grandad" Jazz guitars, will be how I will be spending my retirement. Playing for the, retired rich famous and beautiful people, in the appropriate luxurious surroundings, cruising round the Bahamas and wearing a white Tuxedo and bow tie in the evening, surrounded by a double bass, and a grand piano, and even maybe a big band. I think one of my guitars on the ship will also be white, possibly a Gretsch white falcon.

Having played until the early hours of the evening without having to transport a sound system to the pub, I could then have a few Martinis, shaken not stirred, (naturally having played the James Bond theme earlier in the evening) and get up about mid day swim up and down the pool , and sit in a deck chair, with a glass of champagne.

You should be doing that now not in retirement
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

If I won the Lottery, I'd buy my local favourite pub, and hire managers to run the place
            I'd buy a yatch, as long as one doesn't have to row it everywhere.

Not exactly sure what it is, mind
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              I'd buy a yatch, as long as one doesn't have to row it everywhere.

Surely one can hire staff to man one's Yatch
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                Surely one can hire staff to man one's Yatch
                I don't wear a yatch, but I think if I did I could cope with winding it myself. I don't like those digital yatches; very tacky indeed.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

ok, getting to the point, my retirement dream would be.....

owzat Dad ?

Milan.
                  Last edited by milanbenes; 24 November 2010, 08:06.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    When you're playing on my boat you'll have a break when I say you can. And get that bow tie straightened sharpish.

Comment

As said, pubs are hard work unless you hire a full-time manager and just take the role of owner, i.e. drinking for free all day.

A small family-run B&B might be closer to the idea EO was floating, perhaps. Somewhere fairly remote so your guests are actually welcome visitors between periods of solitude.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X