• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody VAT people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMO they do it to check if the firm in question is "contactable" - this is to prevent VAT carosel fraud that they are suffering from. Or perhaps just do some effort that can supposedly prevent it.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
      Yes, Ive always found them very helpful. Unless your hiding something!!!!!
      I've not really been trading long enough (with this Ltd.) to actually have anything to hide.

Its just probably all about "fairness"

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        I've always found the VAT to be really very helpful.
        this one especially:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt
          this one especially:

Ah yes: named after the Pope's phone number.

Comment

Whatever you think, I find it helps to be nice to VAT officers from the start.

I always am, on the few occasions I have spoken or corresponded with them. My last VAT inspection was carried out over the phone.

Being awkward just gets you a tick in the box marked "Keep a close eye on this company".

Comment

Had one full VAT visit and some similar telephone enquiries. Never had any probs either. Difficult to go too far with wrong with VAT, wish tax was as simple.

With government agencies, avoid mentioning anything unless asked, pocket errors in your favour, challenge and complain about anything not in your favour and don't give up. Inventing idiotic interpretations of their own rules sometimes works too.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
              X