• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody VAT people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody VAT people

<RANT>

Bloody VAT people......

Having closed down my previous Ltd, I incorporated a new Ltd company a few weeks ago and did the usual stuff like applying for VAT registration etc. (or more strictly true Mr Upton at 1st Accountancy did...hello Darren.. )

Last week I received a letter from the VAT office which was worded in such a way that I inferred they would make my life difficult unless I contacted them by the 24th Feb.

For example, the letter was headed in bold type, 24 point text "You must reply by 24th Feb" and "to avoid a visit from our compliance officer"

Needless to say I was a little worried to think the VAT boys assumed I was on the fiddle when I had only been trading a few weeks.

I called them first thing yesterday morning to be greeted by a very nice lady who told me the purpose of the letter was "just to make sure I was OK and didnt require any help or input to our VAT accounting" - I pointed out that they could help significantly by not wasting my time worrying me with their bloody stupid letters.

To me, this proves 2 things

1) The VAT people can put the fear of God (or Allah) in all of us.

2) They are obviously massively over staffed to have people whose only role is to write letters like the one I received and then sit back and take the phone calls from the nervous new directors.

Why couldnt they just have written a nice letter with a cheery "If you need any help just give your friendly neighbourhood VAT man a call on 0800....." ?

</RANT>

interestingly soon after I registered for VAT a nice man rang me to ask if I had any questions and was also very helpful in explaininy Flat Rate and Cash Accounting.
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Why couldnt they just have written a nice letter with a cheery "If you need any help just give your friendly neighbourhood VAT man a call on 0800....."
      Because they're a cunch of bunts.
      hth
      We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

I've always found the VAT to be really very helpful.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

writing communications without explaining acronyms is a basic schoolboy error
          can you please explain exactly what VAT stands for

tia
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Very Anal Taxation?

Comment

Vicious And Tedious
              We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
                <RANT>

Bloody VAT people......

Having closed down my previous Ltd, I incorporated a new Ltd company a few weeks ago and did the usual stuff like applying for VAT registration etc. (or more strictly true Mr Upton at 1st Accountancy did...hello Darren.. )

Last week I received a letter from the VAT office which was worded in such a way that I inferred they would make my life difficult unless I contacted them by the 24th Feb.

For example, the letter was headed in bold type, 24 point text "You must reply by 24th Feb" and "to avoid a visit from our compliance officer"

Needless to say I was a little worried to think the VAT boys assumed I was on the fiddle when I had only been trading a few weeks.

I called them first thing yesterday morning to be greeted by a very nice lady who told me the purpose of the letter was "just to make sure I was OK and didnt require any help or input to our VAT accounting" - I pointed out that they could help significantly by not wasting my time worrying me with their bloody stupid letters.

To me, this proves 2 things

1) The VAT people can put the fear of God (or Allah) in all of us.

2) They are obviously massively over staffed to have people whose only role is to write letters like the one I received and then sit back and take the phone calls from the nervous new directors.

Why couldnt they just have written a nice letter with a cheery "If you need any help just give your friendly neighbourhood VAT man a call on 0800....." ?

</RANT>
                Unprofessional, overstaffed and some of the staff need a right good kicking (allegedly)

Comment

Vodka And Tonic

LadyMuck.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Yes, Ive always found them very helpful. Unless your hiding something!!!!!
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X