• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Ashes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That put an emphatic full stop to the Test series, 2 matches won by at least an innings.

Rebuild time for the Australia team.

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
      And yes - I was just a bit young to appreciate the 81 Ashes at the time!
      I wasn't. Botham and Willis at Headlingley. Legendary. I was only a kid but I will never forget that.

BBC Sport - Cricket - Classic Ashes clashes: Headingley

Last edited by Mich the Tester; 7 January 2011, 12:39.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I wasn't. Botham and Willis at Headlingley. Legendary. I was only a kid but I will never forget that.
        You've inspired me to go and have a gander at the later Botham 100 at Old Trafford, swatting Dennis Lillee for sixes with his eyes shut. And my favourite bit of the series when Botham took 5 for 1 in a spell to win that game, the best part was the inevitability of it all once Botham was on a roll, Oz still needed I think 20odd to win with 2 or 3 wickets left but it was all over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a way to spend your school holidays, watching cricket all day on the settee with a packet of biscuits !

ps. written from a fading memory, so please don't correct exact details !

ps2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjSDvdgTOzg
        Last edited by rootsnall; 7 January 2011, 13:13. Reason: ps

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          That put an emphatic full stop to the Test series, 3 matches won by at least an innings.

Rebuild time for the Australia team.
          FTFY
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

BBC Sport - Cricket - Classic Ashes clashes: Headingley
            I agree that they are legendary - and I have enjoyed watching it many times since. At the time (I was 12) I did not follow or want to follow cricket.
            I wish I had though!

Still think this latest Ashes is one of the biggest achievements by an England cricket team ever.
            Beer
            is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              That put an emphatic full stop to the Test series, 3 matches won by at least an innings.
              That's a record for an Ashes series. In fact, England set a lot of records. Off the top of my head:
              • First time England have passed 500 with only one wicket down
              • First time England have passed 500 four times in a series
              • 644 at Sydney is England's record score in Australia
              • First time a team has won three matches by an innings in an Ashes series
              • Cook's all-time record score at Brisbane (beating Don somebody or other)
              • First time in test cricket that 100+ stands have happened for the sixth, seventh and eighth wickets in the same innings
              • Cook and Trott record stand for second wicket
              • Australia get their lowest ever score in a home Ashes test

Comment

It all looked so sweet for Australia at tea on the third day of the first test. England had been rolled for 260, and Australia were 450-5!

I seem to remember someone on here saying Australia would declare at 560.

What actually happened next?

Comment

Remember when a run of the mill thread could quickly get 50 pages?

What changed?

Comment

Working...
                  X