• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outsourcing to India

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Son of Tay View Post
    He will be out of work in a few years. It makes me glum.
    Oh no.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Oh dear me.

Being a coder hasn't just involved coding for - ooohh - the last 20 years. Unless you are a Bob. This is the weakness of yer average Bob.
      I've worked with 'em and - IMO - they need direction. Constantly. To the point where you have to specify where error messages occur, when they occur (including obvious input errors by the user) and - oh yes - exactly what the messages should say.
      Apart from that, they are fine.
      Might as well do the bugger yourself.
      Again - you need to apply more rigor to your hiring process. I hire a few contractors remotely which means I really couldn't care where they are as long as they know their stuff and speak OK English. Some of the best people have been from India and Eastern Europe BUT I interview them as individuals and would never trust any 3rd part to hire on my behalf, unless my company becomes big enough I hire my own hiring manager.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

All the off-shore IT guys I work with are "entry-level" staff. I reckon you could employ entry-level staff in the UK for the same money and get the same level of performance from them.

Low-cost sourcing will continue across the globe, but the market will mature as consultancies work out where effective savings can be made.

At the moment we go around the loop a dozen times to implement the simplest functionality, because good BAs and SysAns are undervalued. Average BAs are not producing the required level of documentation needed to write the code.

Historically, this has been good enough, because a canny developer figures out what they meant. But it doesn't suit entry-level developers, because they can't work it out.
        "take me to your leader"

Comment

Working...
        X