• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Romanian Gypsies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Someone gets banned for using a term from 1940's Germany, but another member uses 'Irish Pikey'

What a fu**ing laughable basis for moderation
    I think CM is allowed to say that because she is Irish.

I don't think it was a specific word that got MiB banned, he was just an all around tosspot.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Some man if you think TestMangler means I test things. Arsehole.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

I don't think it was a specific word that got MiB banned, he was just an all around tosspot.
        Thanks doodab - I hope I get a dispensation for saying that
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

So that means an Pakistani CUK member could call someone a 'Paki' and it would be accepted ? Somehow I doubt it
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

So that means an Pakistani CUK member could call someone a 'Paki' and it would be accepted ? Somehow I doubt it
            I expect it would depend on the context. I would be surprised were you to get told off for posting that, for example.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

There wouldn't be an issue at all if they followed our laws, were reasonably to their neighbours etc, made some +ve contribution to the economy/society but they aren't and don't and the council and government do nothing about it.
              Indeed, but to achieve the situation you're describing there needs to be a worthwhile discussion with gypsies aimed at reaching solutions to problems. There may be problems or laws that prevent, or make it very difficult for them to contribute to society positively; if that's the case then we need to know. It may be that many gypsies indeed want to do that and want to get away from crime, but something is getting in the way; again, we need to know and can only find out with reasonable discussion, unpolluted by extremist prejudice. It may be the case that we need to be more tolerant of other ways of life (as we have become toward homosexuals and some religious groups) in return for some adaption on their part. It may also be the case that they don't want to adapt or live law abiding lives, but we can't make that judgment until rational discussion is held.

I imagine that we would actually find quite a mix of attitudes among gypsies; some may dream of living peacefully and productively alongside others. Others may well have other intentions. You don't know who's who until those discussions take place.

Thing is, if every discussion about or with gypsies starts with some character calling them untermensch, or ranting about crime, the whole thing's screwed before it starts and we all end up in the same old circle of blaming the gypsies for theft, shouting 'not in my back yard', deporting people to eastern European tulipholes and then the guilt trip when they end up being persecuted, as has happened so many times before, and still not solving the problems.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Grow up. If you'd followed the poster in question and you had a modicum of wit about you then maybe, just maybe you'd have seen a pattern to his posts.

Comment

You think?

MIB's banning wasn't solely due to that post, as others' have rightly picked up on.

Comment

Someone gets banned for using a term from 1940's Germany, but another member uses 'Irish Pikey'

I don't think he was banned for using that term. You could use the term 'untermensch' in a discussion of Nietzsche's philosophical works without offending anyone. As in 'does Nietzsche's concept of ubermensch imply he believed in the existence of an untermensch?'

What he did was to state, after a post (by me) pointing out attacks on people including torching homes and attacking children by extremist neo-nazi groups, 'they get all they deserve', effectively defending the actions of a group like the magyar garda, to whom I referred, that makes no bones about being a nazi organisation.

This isn´t Godwin´s law in action; nobody called him a nazi. He did that himself by approving of the actions of a nazi group.

There's history to this too; his rants about muslims can be quite worrying.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                      Indeed, but to achieve the situation you're describing there needs to be a worthwhile discussion with gypsies aimed at reaching solutions to problems. There may be problems or laws that prevent, or make it very difficult for them to contribute to society positively; if that's the case then we need to know. It may be that many gypsies indeed want to do that and want to get away from crime, but something is getting in the way; again, we need to know and can only find out with reasonable discussion, unpolluted by extremist prejudice. It may be the case that we need to be more tolerant of other ways of life (as we have become toward homosexuals and some religious groups) in return for some adaption on their part. It may also be the case that they don't want to adapt or live law abiding lives, but we can't make that judgment until rational discussion is held.

I imagine that we would actually find quite a mix of attitudes among gypsies; some may dream of living peacefully and productively alongside others. Others may well have other intentions. You don't know who's who until those discussions take place.

Thing is, if every discussion about or with gypsies starts with some character calling them untermensch, or ranting about crime, the whole thing's screwed before it starts and we all end up in the same old circle of blaming the gypsies for theft, shouting 'not in my back yard', deporting people to eastern European tulipholes and then the guilt trip when they end up being persecuted, as has happened so many times before.
                      No there is not. They are just born into crime families and that is the way they are brought up. They dont send the kids to school as they would rather they were out on the streets begging.

They don't even use the bins round here, they just throw the rubbish out the window and when the waste gets waist high the council come round and shovel it out from the back if the flats.

Every supermarket I have been to in the last few years has had a roma outside begging, even out in the country.

People should stop banging on about human rights when these folk get talked about, should never have been let into the country and we should be doing the same as the French, showing them the door.

Comment

Working...
                      X