• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vince Cable: Migrant cap is hurting economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I would like to take Cable round this office then take him out to meet the 5 recent IT graduates than I know that cannot get a start. See what he has to say to them.
    "You have transferable skills. Have you looked for work in data entry?"

Edit: Now I think of it. That is roughly what I've been doing so far this morning and it's going to be my main task over the weekend.
    Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 17 September 2010, 10:46.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      A quick scan of that Wiki suggest he should be in prison, rather than serving as chairman for the Home Affairs Committee.
      Beat me to it.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        First thing he says is that his wife is an immigration lawyer. Nobody questions that it might possible make him partial.
        Not many were disturbed by the fact that Matrix Chambers made a shed load of money on the then Governments legislation changes.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
          Not many were disturbed by the fact that Matrix Chambers made a shed load of money on the then Governments legislation changes.
          I believe Gordon Brown was moved to say "As long as it is fair!"

HTH
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            He gives the game a way in his interview with the FT in the Video he clearly states "I represent Business" (1:39).

I think he is trying to do a Hewitt because he knows that he won't be in government for very long.
            And he said what they all say ('cos they have to), that businesses have to look outside the EU to fulfil skills shortages, but in practice I doubt whether they look outside the UK itself.

Why don't they look in the rest of the EU first? Mitch probably has the answer here.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Anyone fancy watching this and seeing who it is that is pressuring/bribing Cable and what their augment is?

I can't be arsed, it's all a charade.
              The sound quality is awful so I skippd through it a bit, but from what I could make out the first sitting has 3 pro-bob people (probably work for Accidenture) and including a bob recruiter guy who basically said something sounding like "much quickness plenty cheapness" in response to whatever question he was asked. It was basically a big sob story to the panel about the temporary cap, but they didn't really come up with (or I couldn't hear them) any hard facts about he damage caused so far. To be fair to the panel, they actually threw some provokative questions around using existing labour force during times of recession. They played the usual like "but we advertised the roles in the UK first...."

In another seating there is Sir Andrew Green who is a diplomat promoting anti-bob immigration policy. Am glad that he specifically brought up Tier 2 permits (ICT) and gave some hard facts and figures about its abuse as a vehicle for eventually offshoring work to cheap labour in india.
              [edit] he did seem to miss out its use as a way to keep people in the UK on low wages.
              Last edited by CheeseSlice; 17 September 2010, 11:30.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                They played the usual like "but we advertised the roles in the UK first...."
                Referring to my post above, this is an admission that they haven't looked in the rest of the EU. <snigger>

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                In another seating there is Sir Andrew Green who is a diplomat promoting anti-bob immigration policy. Am glad that he specifically brought up Tier 2 permits (ICT) and gave some hard facts and figures about its abuse as a vehicle for eventually offshoring work to cheap labour in india.
                [edit]he did seem to miss out its use as a way to keep people in the UK on low wages.
                Which is the real problem.

Comment

Working...
                X