• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vince Cable: Migrant cap is hurting economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Was on the news that we only let in the 'cleverest and brightest'.

That must be why my clientco is full of bobs wearing unmatched suit parts, (sometimes) matching trainers and who write code that fails testing at every opportunity. We wouldn't want to 'gamage' industry by putting a stop to that now, would we ?
    That's "gamage ®". Or I'll sue you for Gamages.
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
      That's "gamage ®". Or I'll sue you for Gamages.
      Wouldn't want my use of your new word gamaging your reputation, would we

Looks like it now falls under the 'common usage' thing now........will be in the Oxford English next time round
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
        the uk already has access to a pool of 500million europeans. Surely there is enough talent there to fill any vacancies. OR is it just vince trying to satisfy his BOB relations ?
        Yep, but if you can get a decent job in southern Deutschland or northern Italy, buy a decent house for less than 200,000 euros, work 9 to 5 each day with 28 paid holidays, spend your weekends in sunny weather enjoying Riesling Spätlese and Schwarzwalder schinken or Vernaccia di San Gimignano and wild boar ham, send your kids to a good local school where they don't get the tulipe kicked out of them for being 'posh' and be safe in the knowledge that your health insurance gives you access to outstanding healthcare, why would you move to Britain?

Yep, I know, fantastic scenery, humourous people, creative arts and music scene and a great quality of life for people on high incomes and all that, but I genuinely think the average bod on an average to 2* average income in Deutschland, Benelux, France, Austria or northern Italy basically has a better quality of life than the average bod on average to 2* average income in GB.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
          is it just vince trying to satisfy his BOB relations ?
          He gives the game a way in his interview with the FT in the Video he clearly states "I represent Business" (1:39).

I think he is trying to do a Hewitt because he knows that he won't be in government for very long.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

*average income = 26k ish pa.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

We could do with some people in government that represent the people, as well as business.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Yep, that's about 30 to 35 k euros depending on exchange rate. Add in that fact that housing is often subsidized in Europe one way or another (e.g. MIRA, housing benefits), public transport is cheaper, fuel is often cheaper and houses are cheaper, and a two person, 1.5 income household can live quite well. If you're on 60k euros (2* average) in Holland or Germany, which is not unusual for an experienced permie at graduate level, you'll live very well indeed.

Of course, contractors and insultants whose household earns 150k plus are living a life of luxury.

Comment

They are paying 18 grand for Bob developers in here.

I was getting that 12 years ago when I left Uni and thought I was getting ripped off.

Has anyone actually seen a Graduate in IT in the last 5 years?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Not enough is it... unless you don't bring your family and bunk up 10 to a room.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Not enough is it... unless you don't bring your family and bunk up 10 to a room.
                      Quick look at the dictionary;

Mass hysteria — other names include collective hysteria, group hysteria, Mass Psychogenic Illness, or collective obsessional behavior — is the sociopsychological phenomenon of ever increasing house prices in Britain and the USA fuelled by idiotic amounts of personal debt and the failure to recognise that mortgages have to be paid off.

(slightly edited but I think you get my drift)

Comment

Working...
                      X