• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which PM course to take up. Switch from Techie to PM.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
    What about ambition? Surely most people want an alternative to being a code monkey for 40 years
    Ambition: To become a PM.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
      What about ambition? Surely most people want an alternative to being a code monkey for 40 years
      Would you tell an artist, writer, pianist, or chef that 40 years spent mastering their craft and honing their skills to achieve new heights of excellence displayed a lack of ambition?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        How was I to know that the last bloke I said that to really was a one-legged outer-mongolian goats cheese manufacturer who was 5th in line to the Mongolian throne?

Something about that bastards story just didn't ring true!
        LoL Am really not into the fruity scene mate, but am pretty sure there's plenty of roosters in here you can compare your bottoms with if you like. In public, if that's your 'ickle fancy as well. Just don't mail me the pictures. Don't fancy puking on my keyboard.

Onwards. markinbrussels, thanks for tip I was deciding between PMP and Prince2 as well. As already mentioned, had a look a the job boards and the bias seems to be ever so slightly towards PMP at the mo. Not sure if one can read up at home and just go sit the exam? If that's the case then that's one week more having mum's curries at home for lunch rather than at the study center when I go home for holidays In fact, if it's just the case of giving an exam, might as well give it here. Will look into it. Cheers.

d000hg, They wouldn't waste time sending me such an email in the first place if they were happy to go with the hi-flying PMs with 10 years of experience. Hence my reply would depend on the role in question, but would by and large highlight the little experience I have (Release Management, Team Lead, some Technical Programme Management), the certifications I would have obtained and most importantly how my skill level and remuneration expectations fit in with the client's project scope and budget. Don't have a ton of experience going in my favour in negotiating contracts (well none really!) and in working out what a prospective client's position really is when he/she sends me the kind of mail you mention. The money may not be much at the beginning, but I feel that's a fair trade-off for the steep learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatlookinguy View Post
          They wouldn't waste time sending me such an email in the first place if they were happy to go with the hi-flying PMs with 10 years of experience. Hence my reply would depend on the role in question, but would by and large highlight the little experience I have (Release Management, Team Lead, some Technical Programme Management), the certifications I would have obtained and most importantly how my skill level and remuneration expectations fit in with the client's project scope and budget. Don't have a ton of experience going in my favour in negotiating contracts (well none really!) and in working out what a prospective client's position really is when he/she sends me the kind of mail you mention. The money may not be much at the beginning, but I feel that's a fair trade-off for the steep learning curve.
          You're not really selling yourself well. It seems you're selling point is "I'm cheaper than an experienced PM".
          Saving £100/day is tiny compared with the cost of an inexperienced PM screwing up a project - that could be £100s or £1000s per day.

Not having a go at you, but since a PM is managing multiple people and therefore handling £1000s/day in terms of expenditure, I can't see why you'd take the risk for a small saving.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
            It's my username and real name. I was born in Birmingham. I am one of the many that are not tee-total.
            Confirmed.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              You're not really selling yourself well. It seems you're selling point is "I'm cheaper than an experienced PM".
              Saving £100/day is tiny compared with the cost of an inexperienced PM screwing up a project - that could be £100s or £1000s per day.

Not having a go at you, but since a PM is managing multiple people and therefore handling £1000s/day in terms of expenditure, I can't see why you'd take the risk for a small saving.
              True. TBH, with what thunderlizard said earlier in this thread d000hg (and here I am assuming he/she is far, faa..aar more experienced in this field than I am.. [as are you ]), with the kind of jump in career lines I am looking at, at the moment, that is all I can hope for. Either that or get into a junior PMO permie role and "grow" in the organisation for a few years and THEN make the jump into contract world. I have neither the time nor the inclination to follow that route (got some personal plans).

Is it impossible to make it in the field this way?

I just hope that the kind of roles that thundelizard mentioned.. i.e. low paid, hard working, very low budget etc etc... are actually out there. I don't mind putting in the hard work and long hours.

But if the answer is a resounding NO and that nothing can come of my efforts, be it certifications or communication skills, well, I guess I will just have to keep looking.

Do you have a better suggestion?
              Last edited by Greatlookinguy; 27 August 2010, 14:03.

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
                It's my username and real name. I was born in Birmingham. I am one of the many that are not tee-total.
                I can't vouch for the Birmingham bit can confirm that my doppelganger is not tee-total.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
                  *cough* PM in the room!! *cough*

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post

I'm looking to make a move from Techie to PM. Motivation? Money.
                  If it's money you're looking for then PM gigs pay nowt much these days.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

If it's money you're looking for then PM gigs pay nowt much these days.
                    At the moment they aren't... but when the recovery comes, PM's will be in demand again. (Hopefully!)
                    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                      Shouldn't you be shopping... At the Trafford Centre....<shudder>
                      - ended up in town instead, school uniform shopping.
                      But I managed to get a cheap, sparkly and no doubt crippling, pair of heels
                      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                      X