• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which PM course to take up. Switch from Techie to PM.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant understand why anyone would want to switch from 'techie' to PM

Most of the PM's I come across are utter fukwits - OK there have been a couple of good ones, but most have very little clue about what's going on... especially the current one.

Why do people see the need to 'progress' to PM from a technical role?
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Power-lust?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
        Most of the PM's I come across are utter fukwits - OK there have been a couple of good ones, but most have very little clue about what's going on...
        *cough* PM in the room!! *cough*

Comment

Fear of getting found out.

Or, getting so fed up getting shafted & cocked about on projects run by ****wits that they decide it's better to do it themselves.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Most of the PM's I come across are utter fukwits - OK there have been a couple of good ones, but most have very little clue about what's going on... especially the current one.

Shouldn't you be shopping... At the Trafford Centre....<shudder>

Comment

W pogle S

Why this mega ambition to progress from techie to PM ? Is it so you can feel good that your career has 'progressed' ? Or is it because if you are a techie you need to be on the toes all the time updating to the latest skills ? I just do not get it. To me as a techie, the juice is in doing the programming and delivering projects. Not managing muppets.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

PMP/Prince 2 is pretty similar, I think.

When I passed my Associated PMP certification 4 years ago, you had to show experience in PM as a prerequisite to sit for the exam. Probably you have that already in your bag (more or less), so I'd go for PMP.

No need for courses. Courses are for wimps. I bought Rita Mulhany's book and that was enough.

OTOH, project management is about spending your entire day in useless meetings. If you enjoy that, go ahead.

Comment

A lot of developers I have come across.... ok, I'll stop there.

I'm looking to make a move from Techie to PM. Motivation? Money.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post

Motivation? Money.
                    What about ambition? Surely most people want an alternative to being a code monkey for 40 years

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Many Indians are teetotal. Actually, are you Indian by birth ... or is that just your username?
                      It's my username and real name. I was born in Birmingham. I am one of the many that are not tee-total.

Comment

Working...
                      X