• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hamas and the power of democracy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chico
    Fungus are you arguing with historical fact? Or because it does not fit your namby-pamby God-hating, anti-Semitic worldview, it therefore does not count?
    You said: "Palestine has never existed as a country in its own right ... The whole land has always been Israel."

That is not fact. That is fiction. And to point that out is not anti-Semitic. You'd do well not to cry wolf.

Comment

Links or it never happened

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
        Links or it never happened

Mailman
        I assuming that your garbled text means "Post links to prove it happened". Well my information comes from several books. I suggest you do some reading. Jonathon Dimbleby has one called "The Palestinians" though I can't comment on the quality. One I liked was co-written by a Rabbi and an Arab scholar. Naturally it was separated into two distinct parts, each written by one author. I was provoked into reading up on this by a Jewish Israeli colleague, who was a likeable lad and a bit of a leftie by Israeli standards (though still reassuringly right wing).

Comment

Palestine has never existed as a country in its own right ...
          Wrong - In the time of King David or thereabouts, about 1200 BC, the Phillistines settled land along a coastal strip which became a separate state called Philistia. They were Greek settlers (Phillis = Hellas) and more advanced in most respects than the Jewish people of the time. (Goliath's real name was probably something like Agoliathes.)

The whole land has always been Israel.
          Wrong - In the time of Christ, and for centuries before that, what is modern Israel was a patchwork of separate countries, as a historical map shows, with the Israelites occupying a small central region that didn't even include Jerusalem. The Bible gives a somewhat one-sided view of their significance.

Hadrian (Roman Emperor) after he conquered the land and because of his hatred for Jews, renamed Judea "Palestine" after the Philistines
          Hadrian was emperor in around 120 AD. Palestine first became part of the Roman empire when it was conquered by Gnaeus Pompeius in 62 BC. By your timescale the Duke of Wellington would have been running the Falklands War

Feck it, it's friday evening. What am I doing wasting my time correcting Chico's posts yet again? I'm off ...
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 3 February 2006, 20:09.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The important bit is that muslim palestine never existed. As you said yourself, the philistines were related to the greeks, not ayerabs.

Mailman

Comment

The important bit is that muslim palestine never existed. As you said yourself, the philistines were related to the greeks, not ayerabs.

Mailman
              You really are dense, aren't you?

Comment

Mailman
                Lord knows what you are on about. The important point is that the Israel that we see today is a modern invention, and that for several thousand years the inhabitants of that area were majority Arab with small numbers of Jews, Christians etc.

Anyway, you don't want to go giving Plaid Cymru ideas or there'll be Welsh settlers flooding into England, claiming it as their ancestral homeland.

Comment

That's the price of democracy,

When the British people where given a chance to stop the wars and killing, they chose not to !! their vote went to Blair and the war

When the Americans had a chance to choose peace, they didn't, they voted for Bush and his wars

When the Iraqis were given a chance they also choose shia(thought to be extreme Islam)

When the Germans were given the choice .. whom did they choose??

Comment

Originally posted by zamzummim
                    That's the price of democracy,

When the British people where given a chance to stop the wars and killing, they chose not to !! their vote went to Blair and the war

When the Americans had a chance to choose peace, they didn't, they voted for Bush and his wars

When the Iraqis were given a chance they also choose shia(thought to be extreme Islam)

When the Germans were given the choice .. whom did they choose??
                    It is not a price, it is the choice of the people. This means that the leaders are accountable and take responsibility. There is still no consensus that the wars were a bad thing, so dont make assumptions
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                      There is still no consensus that the wars were a bad thing, so dont make assumptions

Comment

Working...
                      X