• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pakistan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    Reckon you're right - we very rarely hear anything positive about Pakistan.

Feeling very sad about the whole thing. Charitable donations directly proportional to consumption of Chilean Malbec...
    If there was a massive issue in India and Bob was in trouble, you know damn well it would be front page, lead story and people up and down the country would be helping out.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      But thats the truth. As bad as it is, I don't believe that the plight of Pakistan (from a media/British perspective) & that it is a flood, falls into the same mindset as other natural disasters.
      Yep, it's the truth alright, but no less disgusting. It's so easy to justify leaving people to starve, but it doesn't make it right.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Oh - and if you do all your donations through justgiving, it's dead easy to keep track of for your tax return!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Yep, it's the truth alright, but no less disgusting. It's so easy to justify leaving people to starve, but it doesn't make it right.
          I find I am desensitised to the news unless I am in someway affected directly or indirectly(ie. I know somebody who may have family/been there etc).

The most shocking news I have seen is the Twin Towers & then the Tsunami. Earthquakes to a lesser extent, famine to an even lesser point, then floods. When Raoul Moat was running around like a loon, we were concerned about a cousin who lived in the town he was running around in.

There are 6.8 billion people in the world. Approx 300,000 people will die every day.

It doesnt make it right. But at the same time it's not a crutch.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            If money were no object I don't believe the outcome would be much better, they could probably do with some experienced project managers to go out there and organise the logistics.

Any volunteers? Thought not.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I think it's just because it is far away and everyone is feeling worried about their own lot right now.

Or, everyone's just selfish.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I think it's just because it is far away and everyone is feeling worried about their own lot right now.

Or, everyone's just selfish.
                No, it's because it's not instant death.

We respond to instant killings along the lines of earthquakes and tsunamis as they provide nice clear tabloid headlines. Slow lingering deaths don't sell papers and don't get the same level of aid.

Pakistan is in a very volatile part of the world and right now might just be a good time to get them on our side. We should be at the forefront of aid it's in our own interests to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Because on the whole Pakistan born Brits keep trying to blow us up in our own country.
                  Are you just typing the first thing that comes into your head or are you tired from the constant banter with SY.

Really? "on the whole"? You mean they're all at it?

Or are you refering to the 3 british born 7/7 bombers? Or did you mean the Jamaican one?

This makes me glum. Really. I understand the issue you're trying to highlight but the statement above is just plain stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                    Pakistan is in a very volatile part of the world and right now might just be a good time to get them on our side. We should be at the forefront of aid it's in our own interests to do so.
                    Finally some sense.

Zardari is on some world tour at the moment, even Bush had the decency to hang around after Katrina FFS. Who do you think is going to be there offering local, financial and spiritual support to the people who have lost their loved ones and homes. I'll give you a clue, it begins with a T.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                      Finally some sense.

Zardari is on some world tour at the moment, even Bush had the decency to hang around after Katrina FFS. Who do you think is going to be there offering local, financial and spiritual support to the people who have lost their loved ones and homes. I'll give you a clue, it begins with a T.
                      The British Red Cross?

Comment

Working...
                      X