• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At what age do you plan on retiring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bogeyman
    there should be an option for 'never'.

By the way Dave, I find your avatar strangely disturbing.
    Then you'll love where I stole it from

Ugly Hill

A great little web comic by a guy called Paul Southworth.

Also worth checking is Krazy Larry

Also by him and equally disturbing at times.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Nature abhors a vacuum , hence those who dream of that golden retirement might have at best two years pottering about in their garden or lazing in front of the telly, however you cant beat Nature and it will mark you as soon to be expired to make way for new life.

Ive said it before, but I, like DA, firmly reject this whole nonsense of retirement.

In my old age (about 2 years from now) I shall be fully occupied with piano tunings and restorations,and generally heckling people in obscure port towns in southern Europe or infuriating people on contracting boards.

And of course my illustrous memoirs.

There you have it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        Then you'll love where I stole it from

Ugly Hill

A great little web comic by a guy called Paul Southworth.

Also worth checking is Krazy Larry

Also by him and equally disturbing at times.
        Thanks for that insight into a whole new disturbing world Dave.

See what you mean - ugly, yet addictive,

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
          I can assure you I have no intention of becoming obsessed with Sausage Jockey's knob when I retire.
          Do eunuchs have knobs? I know that Indian ones don't as the castration involves the entire outward part of the genitalia.

Comment

when I die

Given the lack of rate and the rate at which my other half spends...probably never be able to retire. That's assuming us 40+'s will be hired at a job or contract..Otherwise it looks like I'll be requesting whether people would like to supersize their meal for the remaining days.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000
              Given the lack of rate and the rate at which my other half spends...probably never be able to retire. That's assuming us 40+'s will be hired at a job or contract..Otherwise it looks like I'll be requesting whether people would like to supersize their meal for the remaining days.
              Q. What do you say to an IT engineer over 50?
              A. I'll have a BigMac and fries please.

Arf arf. The old ones are the best.

It is now illegal to discriminate on the basis of age. So that is sorted then. Yeah, as if. Just more bleedin' pointless bureacracy from Brown.

I think that older workers cost more due to pensions, greater sickness, greater health insurance costs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
                there should be an option for 'never'.

I want to die in harness.

I have sort of semi-retired (at age 43 and am 48 now) and get most of my income from property investments made in the good times. Fairly modest lifestyle but happy and relaxed. No mortgages or anything. Kids gone away - thank God. Wife also retired from proper work but does art and stuff.
                Good thinking actually. Don't retire, just work less, as the inclination and ability takes you.

To dream of retiring is to admit the chains.
                Last edited by expat; 1 February 2006, 14:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
                  I think that older workers cost more due to pensions, greater sickness, greater health insurance costs etc.
                  And your evidence is....
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                  X