• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "At what age do you plan on retiring"

Collapse

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Originally posted by Fungus
    I think that older workers cost more due to pensions, greater sickness, greater health insurance costs etc.
    And your evidence is....

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    there should be an option for 'never'.

I want to die in harness.

I have sort of semi-retired (at age 43 and am 48 now) and get most of my income from property investments made in the good times. Fairly modest lifestyle but happy and relaxed. No mortgages or anything. Kids gone away - thank God. Wife also retired from proper work but does art and stuff.
    Good thinking actually. Don't retire, just work less, as the inclination and ability takes you.

To dream of retiring is to admit the chains.
    Last edited by expat; 1 February 2006, 14:11.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000
    Given the lack of rate and the rate at which my other half spends...probably never be able to retire. That's assuming us 40+'s will be hired at a job or contract..Otherwise it looks like I'll be requesting whether people would like to supersize their meal for the remaining days.
    Q. What do you say to an IT engineer over 50?
    A. I'll have a BigMac and fries please.

Arf arf. The old ones are the best.

It is now illegal to discriminate on the basis of age. So that is sorted then. Yeah, as if. Just more bleedin' pointless bureacracy from Brown.

I think that older workers cost more due to pensions, greater sickness, greater health insurance costs etc.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    when I die

Given the lack of rate and the rate at which my other half spends...probably never be able to retire. That's assuming us 40+'s will be hired at a job or contract..Otherwise it looks like I'll be requesting whether people would like to supersize their meal for the remaining days.

Leave a comment:

• Fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    I can assure you I have no intention of becoming obsessed with Sausage Jockey's knob when I retire.
    Do eunuchs have knobs? I know that Indian ones don't as the castration involves the entire outward part of the genitalia.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Then you'll love where I stole it from

Ugly Hill

A great little web comic by a guy called Paul Southworth.

Also worth checking is Krazy Larry

Also by him and equally disturbing at times.
    Thanks for that insight into a whole new disturbing world Dave.

See what you mean - ugly, yet addictive,

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Nature abhors a vacuum , hence those who dream of that golden retirement might have at best two years pottering about in their garden or lazing in front of the telly, however you cant beat Nature and it will mark you as soon to be expired to make way for new life.

Ive said it before, but I, like DA, firmly reject this whole nonsense of retirement.

In my old age (about 2 years from now) I shall be fully occupied with piano tunings and restorations,and generally heckling people in obscure port towns in southern Europe or infuriating people on contracting boards.

And of course my illustrous memoirs.

There you have it.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman

By the way Dave, I find your avatar strangely disturbing.
    Then you'll love where I stole it from

Ugly Hill

A great little web comic by a guy called Paul Southworth.

Also worth checking is Krazy Larry

Also by him and equally disturbing at times.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Why are people who retire so dull?

Answer:

Because they have nothing to do other than become obsessed with the little thing in life
    I think there appears to be some confusion with the word "retire" with the traditional sense of getting the gold watch, pottering about the garden and then dying within 2 years.

I fancy cashing in around 10 years, sending any future kids down the (re-instated due to energy crises) coal mines, nipping off to the Maldives with a Twin Otter and fly a couple of tourists every now and then with my bare feet, retiring to my luxurious beach hut or boat with its own lagoon and white sand, drinking, fishing, tanning, exploring, sending emails and pictures of the place to people in the UK every now and then ...

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    Because they have nothing to do other than become obsessed with the little thing in life
    I can assure you I have no intention of becoming obsessed with Sausage Jockey's knob when I retire. Assuming I live that long, of course.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    What happened to 40-45?
    Why are people who retire so dull?

Answer:

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    What happened to 40-45?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied

I want to die in harness.

I have sort of semi-retired (at age 43 and am 48 now) and get most of my income from property investments made in the good times. Fairly modest lifestyle but happy and relaxed. No mortgages or anything. Kids gone away - thank God. Wife also retired from proper work but does art and stuff.

I still like to design and code, and do consulting work and training for firms I know.

Think I would go mental through boredom if I had to hang out with all the boring old farts on the golf course all day. I hate gardening and DIY so it's back to the keyboard for me.

By the way Dave, I find your avatar strangely disturbing.
    Last edited by bogeyman; 31 January 2006, 14:57.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    Thats a tough one Dave.

I am fortunate and don't have to work, but choose to

Me too, I don't have to work either, but then I wouldn't really fancy having to live off just £50 a week that Labour would pay me for sitting on my arse having 50 kids at the age of 13 and smoking all the money away down the estate.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    Thats a tough one Dave.

I am fortunate and don't have to work, but choose to
    What a coincidence. I too have only one of "have to" and "choose to".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X