• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let them eat cake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Hi Mary,

Working unfortunately. Major ERP upgrade going on here and the management bulltulip and politics are unbelievable, so I've had to actually pay attention for a change to avoid my part of the project getting blamed for other peoples cockups.

And yes, the link probably would do that. It's an old Mary Whitehouse Experience sketch, Hugh Dennis doing Mr Strange
    I see. Bloody work, getting in the way of things.

Oh right, will watch then. Thought it was going to be some revolting milk-is-grim expose type thing. I do love me milk.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      That's what people usually say in a crisis.
      Only so they can keep an eye on you and you don't wander off and get lost.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        That's what people usually say in a crisis.
        I can imagine. I bet they use this face too:
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          Only so they can keep an eye on you and you don't wander off and get lost.
          Followed by "I thought I told you to stay on the bus"

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Why do people squeeze bread in the supermarket? Not just one loaf either, every loaf on the shelf.
            Bread is softer when it's fresher. I'm not quite that bad, but I do still instinctively give the loaf a bit of a sneaky squeeze while I'm putting it in the basket just to make sure it's not completely rock hard (it never is).

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              I see. Bloody work, getting in the way of things.

Oh right, will watch then. Thought it was going to be some revolting milk-is-grim expose type thing. I do love me milk.
              Coincidentally, so does he
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                Bread is softer when it's fresher. I'm not quite that bad, but I do still instinctively give the loaf a bit of a sneaky squeeze while I'm putting it in the basket just to make sure it's not completely rock hard (it never is).
                I am convinced supermarket bread has something in it that keeps it soft. Real bread gets rock hard in a day or two, that supermarket stuff lasts for ages.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I am convinced supermarket bread has something in it that keeps it soft. Real bread gets rock hard in a day or two, that supermarket stuff lasts for ages.
                  They stuff them full of preservatives and flour improvers to stop them going stale.

Take a sniff of a loaf of the extended life stuff some of them sell when you open it. Smells more like chemicals than bread.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Most supermarket bread is steamed and then toasted on top to give it that oven baked look.

Spod - In "Warburtons have a bakery in my old town" mode.

Comment

That's true. Manual bread-squeezing is a hang-over from the days when bread could have been exposed in a hot baker's all day, or just out of the oven. The modern supermarket bread process almost certainly includes a superior mechanised freshness test.

Comment

Working...
                      X