• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your home town

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I bought a place back in my home town about 10 years ago and absolutley love it.

Tomorrow (weather permitting) myself and Mrs PL will go out for a cycle along the clifftops and down to a pub on the seafront over looking a small island for lunch.

The journey home will involve cycling through a country park with two lakes, maybe feed the swans and then along a country road past a couple of farms.

In the evening a five pound taxi ride will get us in to the centre of the city where there is a free concert going on. I think it's Feeder and Athlete - Nothing huge I grant you but it's free and there should be a good atmosphere.

Monday - I'm fifteen mins from the airport where every few hours a flight leaves for one of the biggest hubs in Europe. Theres no traffic as you're heading away from the city.

I've rented in Birmingham, Manchester and other big cities in Europe. For some reason I've never felt as comfortable there as I do where I now live.

Happy days.
    Cardiff?

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
      Cardiff?
      Near enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        If my parents still didn't live in the town where I grew up I'd never set foot in the place again. Despite the 'Proud Heritage...' signs all over the place it was a tuliphole when I was growing up and it's worse now.

Your thoughts on your own home towns?
        Same for me. Quick visit this weekend and just had a quick sojourn around the towns pubs.

My missus was there some really odd people in this pub. I had a look and had to ask which ones cause to me they all looked local and so I couldn't gauge which was which.

Still inbred. Still racist, homophobic. Still smallminded and still stuck in the 70s.

Nice!!!!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

No "home town" as such; Dad was in R.A.F, so moved around all the time. So my current haunt of 13 yrs is home town to us. And I love it!

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Your thoughts on your own home towns?
            A pleasant enough place (South / Southwest region) but too small and quiet for my liking. I only ever returned to it to see family, and then not very often.

I moved to London when I was eighteen to go to university, was forced back by the 1993 recession but five years later was back in London again. I consider London to be my home town now, the place that I grew up is just the place where my family live to me now.

From time to time I read the news on the website for the old local paper and am reminded every time about why I left. It's not a bad place, just very dull.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Same for me. Quick visit this weekend and just had a quick sojourn around the towns pubs.

My missus was there some really odd people in this pub. I had a look and had to ask which ones cause to me they all looked local and so I couldn't gauge which was which.

Still inbred. Still racist, homophobic. Still smallminded and still stuck in the 70s.

Nice!!!!
              I try and avoid going to a pub when I re-visit the old town. There's always someone 30 years later who still treats life like in the playground and wants to fight you to improve his "ranking".
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

All the buildings in the town in which I grew up were covered in 100 years' worth of black grime. Then someone got the bright idea of cleaning the place up a bit & now it's one of the biggest tourist attractions in the country. A nice place but doesn't really feel like home anymore; feels like it has its head where the sun doesn't shine sometimes. You can't even get a bacon sandwich in the morning at the train station - it's a sushi bar FFS!

Comment

My family travelled a lot when I was young (father was an engineer on power stations) I was sent to a convent boarding school (some of you will not be surprised), in my home town. I started working in London and travelled back a lot, moved further a field and didn’t go back so much. Then they had a big boom, I went back and things had changed so much it didn’t feel like my home town anymore. The recent credit crunch seems to have wiped out most of the bad changes brought on by the boom; it’s now my home town again.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Used to be nice, but with the property boom everyone sold up any piece of land they had and now there's horrible grey new houses everywhere.

Depressing, crime is on the up big time and it used to be a place where you could leave the keys on the front door during the day.

Needless to say, my parents and some of my family live there, so that's enough of a deterrent for not going back.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                      I try and avoid going to a pub when I re-visit the old town. There's always someone 30 years later who still treats life like in the playground and wants to fight you to improve his "ranking".
                      So true.

Faaannnnnnn! Faaaaaannnnnnn!!! Marilllion Fan!!!!!!!!!!!! You old fuuuckkkkerrrrrr!!!!!

My brother was saying the same. He's now 48. Some twat from school tried picking a fight with him recently.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X