• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your home town

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I got married me n the missus moved away from the home town (only about like 30 miles) but it meant we could (and had to) really work at our marriage as we could not just go and see old friends - best thing we ever did!

8 years later we moved back as we had kids who were growing up and wanted babysitters on the door step (both sets of parents live there)

The place is a bit in bred and they let anyone in now adays but it will not grow much as most of the surrounding land is properly farmed so is unlikely to be sold........

so all in all yes i would and did move back to my home town!

Comment

Sarf London me. Go back there? Not likely.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        I still live there.

It's more of a tuliphole because almost everywhere I've worked locally has closed.

Not to mention all the mines, and most of the steelworks. Plus the General Hospital. And the NOR (oil refinery). And the Baglan Bay chemical works.

Once Margam goes (though that's in Port Talbot), that'll be the end of it.

The "high tech" stuff like the semiconductor assembly plant closed nigh on 20 years ago.
        I used to work a lot in south wales, it is dire round there I agree.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
          Brisbane?
          Not even warm
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Drederick Tatum summed up nicely how I feel about my home town:

"That town is a dump. If you ever see me back there, you'll know I really ****ed up bad"

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              I agree, what about compromise?

Had a mate whose girlfriend insisted he move 300 miles north and leave his career and flat that he owned to live in a rented house with her.
              She was a temp and lived with her parents so had no ties to speak of, her reason for not compromising SHE didn't want to leave her friends.
              At a time when I was in a permie job I hated I met a girl who wanted me to pack it in and she would support me. She was a supply teacher - i.e. a temp really and suffered from bits of bench time.

Heck no! I still wanted to work, and I certainly didn't want to sell my own house at the bottom of the market.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Sarf London me. Go back there? Not likely.
                Dulwich or Catford?

Makes a difference
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                X