• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your home town

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    The recent credit crunch seems to have wiped out most of the bad changes brought on by the boom; it’s now my home town again.
    Brisbane?

Comment

My home town of 40+ years is a sad place now. It was a prosperous semi rural town in the northwest of england and nearly everyone worked in the chemicals industry. That has now gone and so has the prosperity. The chemical industry pensioners are dying off now and so is the town's prosperity. It is now a town where the biggest employer is a supermarket warehouse and most of the people working there are poles. The local natives of course will not work 12 hour night shifts for minimum wage in a cold store. All the high street pubs bar one have closed. In the evening the town centre is now dead. I am serioulsy considering moving our family away as I cannot see where my next job (or any job in fact) is going to come from anymore in the northwest. We were banking on nuclear new build creating jobs at the likes of AMEC, Rolls Royce etc... But I do not know of a single contractor working on new build work. I now work down near London and I think it is my only chance of staying in work to carry on doing this. Sad, but true.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Wimbledon, up the hill. Pretty much unchanged from 40 years ago, although a bit more yuppified on the High Street.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I was born and grew up in East London. Go back? There's nothing to go back to.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            tulip hole. Glad I left. Folks moved away to the countryside too.
            WMMS

My Dad said "I've spent 30 years policing the bastards, the last thing I'm going to do is retire amongst them!". Harsh but true.

Comment

Endless grief from gf about moving to her home village - Royston Vasey without the excitement, 'but I know everyone', yeah but 'everyone' not using it as a commuter village is a gene-pool challenged dullard desperate to share the slightest detail of their tedious existence.
              Been pushing the 'got to stay in reasonable distance of contracting locations' for years to stay somewhere most people would love to move to.
              Her solution - how about a perm job ? how about not until they come to take the house ...

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                Endless grief from gf about moving to her home village - Royston Vasey without the excitement, 'but I know everyone', yeah but 'everyone' not using it as a commuter village is a gene-pool challenged dullard desperate to share the slightest detail of their tedious existence.
                Been pushing the 'got to stay in reasonable distance of contracting locations' for years to stay somewhere most people would love to move to.
                Her solution - how about a perm job ? how about not until they come to take the house ...
                Sounds like she should be your ex-gf

Comment

I think the beasite Boys said it best:
                  "a nice place to visit but a better place to rob"
                  originally from Kwebeck (French part of Canadia) and will never live there again

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Sounds like she should be your ex-gf
                    I agree, what about compromise?

Had a mate whose girlfriend insisted he move 300 miles north and leave his career and flat that he owned to live in a rented house with her.
                    She was a temp and lived with her parents so had no ties to speak of, her reason for not compromising SHE didn't want to leave her friends.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I live a couple of miles away from where I grew up. I am about 300 yards from streets where houses start at a million and 300 yards the other way tower blocks are filled with junkies. It's a mixed bag and really depends on your street.

Comment

Working...
                      X