• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reputation and Post Counts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    typically CUK

Childish behaviour of the posters... would you really be that suprised?
    That depends on whether you think anyone gives a fig about having a negative or positive count. If you get a high one in either direction then it means you are noticed.

I expect Spacecadet will stay on zero!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Oh, I was confused about the monikers we already have like "more time posting than coding". Is this going to replace that or be in addition?

Also, do we really want posters voting on each other's posts on CUK? Even on fairly professional sites where people treat each other with respect, introducing a user-driven rating system can cause a lot of friction... sounds like a bloodbath in the waiting on CUK. I can't imagine SY01 lasting more than a day or two for instance. Such systems work when people vote on a post, but on CUK I am fairly sure people will vindictively target users they don't like.
      In addition.

The system is actually pretty well set up to avoid spamming of that kind: you can only vote a few times each day, you can only vote for the same person after voting for a number of others, and with the default settings you would only be able to vote for the same person two to three days after you last voted for them, assuming you used your full daily quota of votes on other people during that time. The amount your vote contributes depends on your own reputation, amongst other factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        I thought there was going to be checks and measures in place to ensure that sort of thing couldn't happen
        i.e. can't vote for the same user twice in a row and only a limited number of votes to cast per day
        Does it really matter?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Look at me!!!!!!! Look at Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
          FTFY
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Afternoon!

Just testing my new posting style.

More tea vicar.
            That depends on whether you think anyone gives a fig about having a negative or positive count. If you get a high one in either direction then it means you are noticed.

I expect Spacecadet will stay on zero!
            Mmmmmmm new style lasted..... what 2 mins???

Comment

FTFY
              Has somebody farted?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Has somebody farted?
                What wit!
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

I thought there was going to be checks and measures in place to ensure that sort of thing couldn't happen
                  i.e. can't vote for the same user twice in a row and only a limited number of votes to cast per day
                  Judging by the number of sockies, there are some veerryy patient posters on this board. If it can be abused, it will.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    In addition.

The system is actually pretty well set up to avoid spamming of that kind: you can only vote a few times each day, you can only vote for the same person after voting for a number of others, and with the default settings you would only be able to vote for the same person two to three days after you last voted for them, assuming you used your full daily quota of votes on other people during that time. The amount your vote contributes depends on your own reputation, amongst other factors.
                    Ah I see. The main place I've seen a system used (quite successfully) they don't have limits like this, you can ONLY have one current vote on any other member... you can change your vote at any time of course but only have one 'opinion' logged of any other poster. That means you really have to annoy a lot of people to get a big dip. They also work it so the difference in your ratings effects how much impact your vote has.

The best way to hurt your rating is to mention it I've found, whinging "who voted me down" threads invariably lead to bad things happening
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
                      Judging by the number of sockies, there are some veerryy patient posters on this board. If it can be abused, it will.
                      Like that wonderful and very useful tag cloud?
                      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                      X