• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Staying Away: Hotel Tips

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers for the spare room tip. I've got my first work back in the UK for several years..contract involves 3 weeks in beautiful Derby before year end. Any recommendations for a B and B there?

Comment

"beautiful Derby"..... what do you smoke?
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Comment

Hotel Tips

Having stayed in a large number of hotels I offer the following tips.

- hotels are generally of poorer quality and twice the price in London than elsewhere in the UK.
        - outside of London, staying in a small guesthouse is the way to go (if you want hotel-like accommodation and do not want rented accommodation). I paid 25/night for an excellent room in Glasgow.
        - outside of London you can negotiate rates significantly lower than the rack rate if you are staying for any length of time. In London, negotiation is almost impossible.
        - outside of London, hotel competition is cut-throat, improving your negotiating position. Being a hotelier is popular for some reason unbeknownst to me.
        - 99% of hotels over £30/night will provide spotless bed linen and a clean room for, apart from a horrible "throw" it seems is industry standard to cover the bed with for protection. In London, if you go below £35 all bets are off.
        - outside of London, prices remain constant throughout the year. In London, prices are "low" from Nov to May (with a couple of blips (not quite sure of cause, suspect general foreign holidays). Prices then go "mental" (double) from May through October.

For "proper" hotels (Hilton, Marriott, Radisson):

- stick with a chain and earning points.
        - When you earn enough Hilton points, skipping the queue at checkin is hand-down the biggest benefit.
        - Free internet is the second biggest benefit because...
        - Internet access is almost never provided free of charge - if at all (it is 2011, I just checked)
        - Executive lounges are not worth the money in my experience.
        - When you arrive, stick the Do Not Disturb sign on the door out of habit. Cleaners will knock on the door at 0830 on Saturday.
        - Breakfast is almost never included (unlike B&Bs of course) until you earn enough points when it becomes a privilege (which always surprises me given the cost of the rooms in these places.)

Comment

Everyone here seems to be preferring B&B or hotel. Does nobody go the posh serviced apartment route? When i looked at London there were places with book rate of £100/night for a proper studio - I would be very tempted to go that route so it's a proper 'pad' - invite the wife down for a week, set it up to work on my plan B in the evenings, etc.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Everyone here seems to be preferring B&B or hotel. Does nobody go the posh serviced apartment route? When i looked at London there were places with book rate of £100/night for a proper studio - I would be very tempted to go that route so it's a proper 'pad' - invite the wife down for a week, set it up to work on my plan B in the evenings, etc.
            I have done but not in the UK.

I actually prefer to houseshare with mature (but not old) housemates. Least that way you don't have to buy all the things you need to cook with i.e. salt, pepper, they are house trained and they know when to leave you alone.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Jolly Sailor in Farnham. Can well recommend.30 quid a night. KRoake night can be a bit loud though.

Comment

I worked away for 6 months just recently.

The client paid for hotels (Premier Inn) so of a standard quality throughout.

I was lucky enough to work with a good bunch of people and so most nights were very sociable as we met up for food and drinks.

To break up the routine (and to make the most of being away in lots of different places), I used to try out the Salsa classes nearby. Not a single IT conversation was spoken! There was also plenty of opportunity to sample the local night life, see the local attractions, and so on. It kept me sane throughout the contract.

Other contractors found themselves a gym and swimming pool etc.

You've got to watch out for your health if you're having pub-type food and alcohol every night. It's easy to put weight on. Exercise is important, even if it's just a walk after dinner.

Comment

I'm halfway through a 6 month contract and I've been staying away from home, I'm based in Trowbridge and I am so bored in the evenings after I go to the gym it's unreal
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by username View Post
                    You've got to watch out for your health if you're having pub-type food and alcohol every night. It's easy to put weight on. Exercise is important, even if it's just a walk after dinner.
                    I just stay at a hotel about twenty minutes walk from the pub

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      I just stay at a hotel about twenty minutes walk from the pub
                      I stay next door to the pub, but sit at the table furthest from the bar

(\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X