• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Harrods sold by Al Fayed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    It's like if there was a Greggs on the Champs-Élysées.
    If there was a Greggs on the Champs-Élysées I might consider visiting Paris - the only thing I'm really interested in there is their Blackpool Tower thing, but I always avoid France (and all other foreign countries except The Netherlands) because of the rubbish food

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      If there was a Greggs on the Champs-Élysées I might consider visiting Paris - the only thing I'm really interested in there is their Blackpool Tower thing, but I always avoid France (and all other foreign countries except The Netherlands) because of the rubbish food
      I don't know about a Greggs but you can rest assured that there is a McDonalds and a Starbucks on the Champs-Elysées so there is no need to force any of that foreign french muck down your throat.

It is interesting how we are all different. I have a huge soft-spot for Paris mostly because I always felt I had eaten very well when visiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        I don't know about a Greggs but you can rest assured that there is a McDonalds and a Starbucks on the Champs-Elysées so there is no need to force any of that foreign french muck down your throat.

It is interesting how we are all different. I have a huge soft-spot for Paris mostly because I always felt I had eaten very well when visiting.
        McDonalds and Starbucks are more likely to make me avoid the place

I may not be a gourmet, but I do have standards

Comment

There was an item on the news stating that Al-Fayed had been a big success for Harrods - he changed the marketing away from rich well-to-do Brits (fewer and fewer each year) and instead targetting rich foreign visitors, especially from the Middle East.
          If the volcano eruptions cause more airport shutdowns, places like Harrods may get hit hard
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by eliquant View Post

I live near to Harrods and upon entering it say at 7:10pm on a Friday night it was practically empty. ..
            The only thing I buy in Harrods is made to measure shirts, and I must say each time I visit the place it is heaving with people.

But most, at least two thirds I'd say, are clearly foreign tourists, who I suppose may just be traipsing round the place and not actually buying anything.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              The only thing I buy in Harrods is made to measure shirts, and I must say each time I visit the place it is heaving with people.

But most, at least two thirds I'd say, are clearly foreign tourists, who I suppose may just be traipsing round the place and not actually buying anything.
              I suspect a lot of "shoppers" go there to buy something for 5 or 6 pounds, just so they can parade the bag. Harrods don't mind as the item they've sold for a fiver probably costs them 60 pence.
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

I'm waiting for a Poundland to appear..
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                  There was an item on the news stating that Al-Fayed had been a big success for Harrods - he changed the marketing away from rich well-to-do Brits (fewer and fewer each year) and instead targetting rich foreign visitors, especially from the Middle East.
                  We used to call it "Arabs'" for that very reason.

When I was in Oxford Street in the early nineties it was full of cheap clothes shops selling bankrupt stock. They were leasing shops by the week apparently.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Got to say, I will miss Harrods under the operation of Al Fayed.

The sales assistants are friendly and courteous, which is more than can be said of Selfridges. I guess it must be because Al Fayed personally walks around the store to check the service is up to scratch.

Last time I made a purchase from Selfridges, it was a completely silent transaction because the assistant was on the phone to his mate. The staff there just cant be bothered.

I wonder what will happen to Al Fayed's waxwork in the menswear section on the ground floor?
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Does that mean we can deport the dodgy arms dealer?

Comment

Working...
                      X