• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Harrods sold by Al Fayed"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I don't know about a Greggs but you can rest assured that there is a McDonalds and a Starbucks on the Champs-Elysées so there is no need to force any of that foreign french muck down your throat.

It is interesting how we are all different. I have a huge soft-spot for Paris mostly because I always felt I had eaten very well when visiting.
    Yep has been there since ooh must be 1989 if not before - went there to get a Royale with Cheese - after getting some cassettes and Tshirts from the virgin megastore

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    That'll teach the fugging fuggers to fug off.

Or something.

Tiny Rowland must be spinning in his fugging grave, the fugger.
    Get to fug!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Does that mean we can deport the dodgy arms dealer?

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied
    Got to say, I will miss Harrods under the operation of Al Fayed.

The sales assistants are friendly and courteous, which is more than can be said of Selfridges. I guess it must be because Al Fayed personally walks around the store to check the service is up to scratch.

Last time I made a purchase from Selfridges, it was a completely silent transaction because the assistant was on the phone to his mate. The staff there just cant be bothered.

I wonder what will happen to Al Fayed's waxwork in the menswear section on the ground floor?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMark View Post
    There was an item on the news stating that Al-Fayed had been a big success for Harrods - he changed the marketing away from rich well-to-do Brits (fewer and fewer each year) and instead targetting rich foreign visitors, especially from the Middle East.
    We used to call it "Arabs'" for that very reason.

When I was in Oxford Street in the early nineties it was full of cheap clothes shops selling bankrupt stock. They were leasing shops by the week apparently.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I'm waiting for a Poundland to appear..

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The only thing I buy in Harrods is made to measure shirts, and I must say each time I visit the place it is heaving with people.

But most, at least two thirds I'd say, are clearly foreign tourists, who I suppose may just be traipsing round the place and not actually buying anything.
    I suspect a lot of "shoppers" go there to buy something for 5 or 6 pounds, just so they can parade the bag. Harrods don't mind as the item they've sold for a fiver probably costs them 60 pence.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by eliquant View Post

I live near to Harrods and upon entering it say at 7:10pm on a Friday night it was practically empty. ..
    The only thing I buy in Harrods is made to measure shirts, and I must say each time I visit the place it is heaving with people.

But most, at least two thirds I'd say, are clearly foreign tourists, who I suppose may just be traipsing round the place and not actually buying anything.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    There was an item on the news stating that Al-Fayed had been a big success for Harrods - he changed the marketing away from rich well-to-do Brits (fewer and fewer each year) and instead targetting rich foreign visitors, especially from the Middle East.
    If the volcano eruptions cause more airport shutdowns, places like Harrods may get hit hard

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    I don't know about a Greggs but you can rest assured that there is a McDonalds and a Starbucks on the Champs-Elysées so there is no need to force any of that foreign french muck down your throat.

It is interesting how we are all different. I have a huge soft-spot for Paris mostly because I always felt I had eaten very well when visiting.
    McDonalds and Starbucks are more likely to make me avoid the place

I may not be a gourmet, but I do have standards

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    If there was a Greggs on the Champs-Élysées I might consider visiting Paris - the only thing I'm really interested in there is their Blackpool Tower thing, but I always avoid France (and all other foreign countries except The Netherlands) because of the rubbish food

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65 View Post
    It's like if there was a Greggs on the Champs-Élysées.
    If there was a Greggs on the Champs-Élysées I might consider visiting Paris - the only thing I'm really interested in there is their Blackpool Tower thing, but I always avoid France (and all other foreign countries except The Netherlands) because of the rubbish food

Leave a comment:

• dang65
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
    There's already one on The Strand, which always pleases me when I go past.

Huh? Why, exactly?
    Well, you know, The Strand - King's College London, The Savoy, the Royal Courts of Justice, Simpson's-in-the-Strand, Coutts & Co... and Spar.

It's like if there was a Greggs on the Champs-Élysées.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    I must admit that out of the Big 3 of Harrods, Harvey Nicks and Selfridges, Harrods is my favourite. The other two go for a neoclassical minimalism with stick-thin sniffy staff, but Harrods have chosen an exuberant upmarket jumble-sale feel (is their Christmas department open yet?). If Bacchus came to London he'd shop at Harrods, probably agreeing to meet the more fashion-paranoid Juno and Apollo in the Rib Room afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• GreenLabel
    replied
    There's already one on The Strand, which always pleases me when I go past.

Huh? Why, exactly?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X