• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you had to leave the UK what would you miss most?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    oh yeah, a proper english breakfast with proper sausages... mmmmm
    You do get over it eventually.

Sort of.

But even the places that get it half right can't manage to serve a decent cup of tea with it.

Originally posted by chef View Post
    another thing high up on the tick list

to the list I'd add "proper Fish n Chips", "Heinz Salad Cream", "proper tasting full fat milk", "BLT's on a thick crusty loaf", "decent live music in bars" and "bbc documentaries"
    Have finally got the Beeb and Channel 4 and More 4. Proper tasting milk hasn't been a problem where I am.

But add HP Sauce to your list. I really really miss that.

Oh, and a good old fashioned non-fan gas oven to do Yorkshires in.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      You do get over it eventually.

Sort of.

But even the places that get it half right can't manage to serve a decent cup of tea with it.

Have finally got the Beeb and Channel 4 and More 4. Proper tasting milk hasn't been a problem where I am.

But add HP Sauce to your list. I really really miss that.

Oh, and a good old fashioned non-fan gas oven to do Yorkshires in.

i gotta say,

the quality of meat in the austro hungarian empire countries is second to none

the ham and bacon and beef and pork we get is fantastic

sausages.... the nurnburger sausages make a satisfactory compensation for missing british bangers

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Curry and Guinness (assuming I'm not going to India/Ireland).
        Very hard to find a decent curry in India, surprisingly

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          Very hard to find a decent curry in India, surprisingly

Gabor,

that's a little bit of a generalisation shirley ?

My Bob colleagues would disagree for sure

Milan.

Comment

English breakfast is great. But in some ways a proper American diner is even better, if you're a coffee drinker anyway. Hash browns, French toast, pancakes, lots of syrup, fresh-squeezed juice not an expensive luxury,...
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              But I could never get over not being able to get a decent curry.
              Try Fiji, or (surprisingly) Moscow.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

We could get most things, although they would be a lot more expensive. Except pork pies - I have no idea why.

Another odd one. Difficult to get pickled onions. Pickled everything else you could think of, but onions seem to be in short supply.

Edit: I mean to say we could not get pork pies at all. The above comment doesn't read correctly.
                Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 3 May 2010, 18:30.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Curry and Guinness (assuming I'm not going to India/Ireland).
                  They brew Guinness in over 50 countries now (Spain has the highest consumption outside Ireland & the UK) and the last time I visited my dad in Moraira some Bangladeshis had opened a proper Anglo/Indian curry house, far better than the numerous English run places that try to get away with serving stew mixed with curry powder.

I'd miss Butcombe Gold, in fact I miss it if I venture north of Bristol.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                    We could get most things, although they would be a lot more expensive. Except pork pies - I have no idea why.

Another odd one. Difficult to get pickled onions. Pickled everything else you could think of, but onions seem to be in short supply.
                    Aren't pickles relatively easy to make? You set up 'MailOrderOnion.com' to sell to other stranded brits...
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've spent a lot time time away from UK over the years and there really wasn't much I missed at all. I'd miss even less now.
                      Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                      X