• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holy Cow! I Thought ITIL Foundation Was Easy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't have to convince me, Mal...

As far as I'm concerned it's a necessary stepping stone to getting my ITIL Master*

*@All new/non-ITILers - don't ask...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      I bet the MOD and NHS are heavily into it.
      You're right actually (in the case of the MOD at least)

Comment

ITIL originated from the UK government, so, needless to say, government agencies do use it. (MOD and NHS included).
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          ITIL originated from the UK government, so, needless to say, government agencies do use it. (MOD and NHS included).
          It had its origins with the CCTA in the 1980s (if anyone remembers them).
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

My experience (My Employer is now worshipping at the ITIL Altar) is that as you say that its common sense wrapped into a thick layer of BS.

All frontier towns need laws but the lawman is important too. Too much emphasis on procedures not enough on people. Still it has made the level of service I get from corporate consistent. 1 year to build 3 virtual servers. A year to be allowed to install 2 real servers etc.

I do get the opportunity to go to a lot of meetings or conference calls though.

It's like quality & Health and Safety if done right its an asset, but many officious idiots and Accountants get involved.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
              i thought you were a crystal reports guru, what does ITIL have to do with that ?
              Actually I'm a BI Manager/consultant these days.

As it happens though this is a BA/crystal dev role and it's Service Delivery MI.

The ITIL part is teaching me to suck eggs
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                It had its origins with the CCTA in the 1980s (if anyone remembers them).
                I think they used to be in a Tower on Vauxhall Bridge....
                They also got their grubby mits on "procurement".... so we (Dept of Energy at the time) had to spec our H/W and S/W requirements in small lots (a couple of Monitors or PCs at a time) to keep under their limits - or else we had to go through "Competitive Tender" ie Had to ask about 15 suppliers to quote and go through all sorts of hoops before eventually buying the kit.... and we couldn't change the order part way...... cos it would have to re-start "CT"......

Because we couldn't always get under the radar - we ended up with some XTs some ATs, some Apricots, some Olivetti's and some PS/2s all with different M/F emulation cards and even a few IBM PC/3270s (with built in M/F emulation) - and these guys were supposed to support "Standardisation".

For those old enough to remember an IBM PC/3270 was a low spec XT with a built in Coax card and (Blue) M/F Emulation.
                It was great... It 1/2 Loaded DOS for Keyboard and some other drivers... then rebooted with CP/M to load the M/F emulation... then (re)rebooted in DOS....

It cost about 3x a 3279 (Colour Terminal) and emulated a 3278 (Mono) with about 3K of RAM left for its PC apps...... It was Tulip!!

Comment

I need a course in understanding acronyms.

Anything seems dead easy when you alreasy know it. I find C, VC++, VB.net, jscript pretty simple now but was trying to knock something up in php recently from odd bits off the intenet without really understanding it and doing daft things like trying to parse mysql records before I'd opened the database.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                    They also got their grubby mits on "procurement".... so we (Dept of Energy at the time) had to spec our H/W and S/W requirements in small lots (a couple of Monitors or PCs at a time) to keep under their limits - or else we had to go through "Competitive Tender" ie Had to ask about 15 suppliers to quote and go through all sorts of hoops before eventually buying the kit.... and we couldn't change the order part way...... cos it would have to re-start "CT"......

Because we couldn't always get under the radar - we ended up with some XTs some ATs, some Apricots, some Olivetti's and some PS/2s all with different M/F emulation cards and even a few IBM PC/3270s (with built in M/F emulation) - and these guys were supposed to support "Standardisation".
                    *shudder* I managed to avoid them with one customer, but they were trying to get involved. Later on there was EU grant money involved and they were desperately trying to push an ICL solution on us. The end customer managed to find some software which only ran on the kit he wanted, and managed to slip that in as mandatory. There seemed to be a whole black art in getting what you actually wanted.

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                    For those old enough to remember an IBM PC/3270 was a low spec XT with a built in Coax card and (Blue) M/F Emulation.
                    It was great... It 1/2 Loaded DOS for Keyboard and some other drivers... then rebooted with CP/M to load the M/F emulation... then (re)rebooted in DOS....

It cost about 3x a 3279 (Colour Terminal) and emulated a 3278 (Mono) with about 3K of RAM left for its PC apps...... It was Tulip!!
                    Sounds dreadful. The last green-screen-only environment I worked in had some flavour of 3270s and DEC VT520s. Those 3270s took so long to warm up/boot that the weekly time sheet bashing session was worthy of its own half hour slot. Solved when I discovered an emulator that ran on the VT520s.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

ain't that the truth

it seems to me many processes introduce obscure names/TLA's etc for previously quite obvious words and phrases.

e.g. turn it off and on again ----> reboot -----> recycle your power

so you are not really learning anything you did not know just the right language to speak - which can have postive and negative benefits I suppose

Comment

Working...
                      X