• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Durham/Newcastle -> Canary Wharf by train

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    I think it's possible to go round the back of Kings Cross and get on Regents Canal. Then you can walk all the way down to Limehouse. Canary Wharf is a short walk from there, I think. You could probably do that walk in an hour (if you don't get mugged).
    I think he wants to avoid sweating etc ...... hence the cab. Not sure how walking for an hour approaching summer helps the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      In the event I can't find a rich lord to get me chauffeur-driven, anyone know the time & cost of a taxi then? Would it actually be quicker at rush-hour than 2 tubes/tube+DLR?

If it was 20min, I'd (to pick a number out of thin air) guess around the £30 mark?
      I doubt it would take less time than by tube.

I'm not being funny, but for the sake of +/- £20 why not do it once, find out how long it takes and how much it costs. Anyway the cabbie will be able to tell you approx cost before he sets off.

I can't help feel you're fussing about this now.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelOfTheNorth View Post
        BANK STATION: During escalator replacement work there is no step-free access to the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) and a reduced escalator service between the DLR and Northern/Central/Waterloo & City lines at Bank. A one-way system, via the staircase from the Northern line platforms, will operate for customers accessing the DLR from Bank station. Allow extra time to change between the DLR and Bank station in either direction. Reported: 05/03/10 00:18 Last Updated: 05/03/10 00:18
        Jeez, is this still going on? It was this work that ruined my easy commute into the City and made me start using the river service. That was two years ago.

I appreciate that it is a difficult site to get materials and equipment in and out of but still.

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
        Northern Line to Bank and then DLR to Canary Wharf,
        or Northern Line to London Bridge and Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf

I reckon either should take about 30-40 mins once you are into Kings Cross.
        The change from Northern Line to DLR at Bank is quite easy because the DLR platform is directly underneath the Northern Line platform. The only trouble will be that the work going on at the moment means that you have to travel a more round-a-bout route. I haven't done it myself recently so don't know what it is like at the moment.

The change between lines at London Bridge is a longer walk and the Jubilee line trains will probably be rammed with people going to Canary Wharf, some coming from across town and others that have travelled up through Kent into London Bridge.

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        I think it's possible to go round the back of Kings Cross and get on Regents Canal. Then you can walk all the way down to Limehouse. Canary Wharf is a short walk from there, I think. You could probably do that walk in an hour (if you don't get mugged).
        Good plan - although the canal runs through a tunnel underneath Islington and I don't know how easy or pleasant it is to go through it. Plus this part of the canal runs through some truly tulipe parts of London. In the other direction, past Regent's Park it would probably be quite nice...

EDIT - I agree with Platypus. Cab it. Get a receipt. Expense it. If it is more than £20 it won't be much more than £20.
        Last edited by Gonzo; 12 April 2010, 22:57. Reason: Cab is probably the better option after a three hour journey.

Comment

A cab will be around the £25-£30 mark - no more than £35 including a tip.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            I can't help feel you're fussing about this now.
            Not really. Not if day one on site I find out a cab takes an hour and I'm late and out £50

But thanks for the help all, it sounds fairly reasonable cost-wise by taxi and time-wise by public transport. I'm still not too sure how long a cab would take, I have never been in a car in central London that I can recall.

Also, do all public transport types accept Oyster these days? Last time I was in London was before they invented it, I believe. Do tube & DLR both accept it?

And a really silly question - do London taxis take cards or cash only? When I go abroad, taxis seem to but in England I can't remember one that would accept plastic.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Not really. Not if day one on site I find out a cab takes an hour and I'm late and out £50

But thanks for the help all, it sounds fairly reasonable cost-wise by taxi and time-wise by public transport. I'm still not too sure how long a cab would take, I have never been in a car in central London that I can recall.

Also, do all public transport types accept Oyster these days? Last time I was in London was before they invented it, I believe. Do tube & DLR both accept it?

And a really silly question - do London taxis take cards or cash only? When I go abroad, taxis seem to but in England I can't remember one that would accept plastic.
              Do tube & DLR both accept it? YES YES

do London taxis take cards or cash only - BOTH

Comment

Do tube & DLR both accept it? YES YES

do London taxis take cards or cash only - BOTH
                Cool, thanks.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Cool, thanks.
                  Oh and 1 tip for the DLR

Make sure you 'beep out' with your oyster card. The DLR is a friggen nightmare for this. I once went, got off a station and couldnt see where to beep out. So just went on my merry way, I went to go back in another tube station an hour later and couldnt get access and was charged full whack for my previous journey as I never beeped out.

Turned out the machines were located OUTSIDE the friggen station. What kind of moronic set up is that???

I wonder how many tourists have been caught out by this.

Anyway just remember, always beep your oyster card on your way out even with no barriers, or you'll be sucker punched for the costs later.

Comment

Oh and 1 tip for the DLR

Make sure you 'beep out' with your oyster card. The DLR is a friggen nightmare for this. I once went, got off a station and couldnt see where to beep out. So just went on my merry way, I went to go back in another tube station an hour later and couldnt get access and was charged full whack for my previous journey as I never beeped out.

Turned out the machines were located OUTSIDE the friggen station. What kind of moronic set up is that???

I wonder how many tourists have been caught out by this.

Anyway just remember, always beep your oyster card on your way out even with no barriers, or you'll be sucker punched for the costs later.
                    WHS

You'll only do it once though
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I think he wants to avoid sweating etc ...... hence the cab. Not sure how walking for an hour approaching summer helps the cause.
                      This is the best way to get there. If you have the time. You would walk through Islington, past a lovely pub called The Dove. The whole walk takes in romantic urban London.
                      You gotta have an eye to appreciate it. If you don't like London then it would not interest you.

A Northerner like you would get robbed for your Dunlop trainers then thrown in the Canal.

"Oi! If you just let me take my glasses off i'll fight yer!"

Comment

Working...
                      X