• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Durham/Newcastle -> Canary Wharf by train

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
    This is the best way to get there. If you have the time. You would walk through Islington, past a lovely pub called The Dove. The whole walk takes in romantic urban London.
    You gotta have an eye to appreciate it. If you don't like London then it would not interest you.
    WHS++

Much the same reason why I liked to walk it.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I don't know London well enough to tell how easy/long such a trip might take. The only thing I know is the direct express train is 3hr from Durham to King's Cross, from there I'm lost. Small-town mentality says "oh just hop across on the tube", but I recall you can easily spend 1hr+ on the tube...

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk reckons 25min from Kings Cross, though it has about 5 choices for Kings cross, not sure they are the same...
      I travel from the Midlands to Canary Wharf every week. The journey time from KingsX St Pancras is 40 minutes usually. Thats from stepping off the train at 09:15 , northern line tube to bank, dlr to canary wharf, at my desk, which is just next to the plaza, just before 10.
      You can also do northern line to London Bridge and then jubilee to Canary Wharf...there's not much in it as far as journey time, but the exit from the platform at London Bridge is staired not an escalator and I'm lazy!
      You want to book your train journeys well (at least a month) in advance and check the website regularly. A standard open return purchased at the station on the day of travel for me is £138. Purchased in advance on the web I can get this down to about £60!

Comment

Working...
      X