• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Durham/Newcastle -> Canary Wharf by train

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threaded View Post
    The cab rank can be a bit crowded in the mornings.
    Although you can meet some interesting people during a cab-share (and some boring fookers).

Think I paid six quid to get to the city from paddington, but that was a few years back...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
      Although you can meet some interesting people during a cab-share (and some boring fookers).

Think I paid six quid to get to the city from paddington, but that was a few years back...
      Yes, absolutely. First Class is the key. I made some interesting 'cab-friends', meet up in first class on the way down. Lots of railways lawyers, assorted civil servants, Tescos directors (boring ), Silks are always a good laugh (unless they have to work of course), the odd Judge, MPs, Lords (one of them used to look out special for me getting on at Doncaster and invite me to his table), lots of dull dull dull contractors . One period, when I was working in the opposite direction, down towards Vauxhall Bridge, this old boy, he'd insist on paying the whole trip, and tipping the driver, even though he was out first. Invited me for dinner several times at what he called 'his club'. Sometimes it's a whole different world, sometimes just the same.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

In the event I can't find a rich lord to get me chauffeur-driven, anyone know the time & cost of a taxi then? Would it actually be quicker at rush-hour than 2 tubes/tube+DLR?

If it was 20min, I'd (to pick a number out of thin air) guess around the £30 mark?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          In the event I can't find a rich lord to get me chauffeur-driven, anyone know the time & cost of a taxi then? Would it actually be quicker at rush-hour than 2 tubes/tube+DLR?

If it was 20min, I'd (to pick a number out of thin air) guess around the £30 mark?
          <<<Canned Laughter>>>

Just get a flight and ask them to help you here

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
            <<<Canned Laughter>>>

Just get a flight and ask them to help you here
            Any particular reason for being a jerk? I know it must be exhilarating being allowed to post without moderation and all...

EDIT: this site seems to suggest I'm in the ballpark.
            Last edited by d000hg; 12 April 2010, 19:34.

Comment

he called 'his club'. .
              Did you take him up on his offer to visit him at 'his club'.

Yikes! I wouldnt go without a 2 litre tube of lube!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Any particular reason for being a jerk? I know it must be exhilarating being allowed to post without moderation and all...

EDIT: this site seems to suggest I'm in the ballpark.
                Not nearly as exhilarating as helping you with your terribly complicated but fascinating travel plans.

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
                  Not nearly as exhilarating as helping you with your terribly complicated but fascinating travel plans.
                  You're too poor a troll to be worth fighting.

Whose first try at sock-puppets is this?

Comment

Regents Canal

The cab rank can be a bit crowded in the mornings. Sometimes on a sunny day I'd set off walking and pick one up somewhere along Gray's Inn Road or if it was particularly nice walk the whole way.

(I used to do the same trip, but from Doncaster.)
                    I think it's possible to go round the back of Kings Cross and get on Regents Canal. Then you can walk all the way down to Limehouse. Canary Wharf is a short walk from there, I think. You could probably do that walk in an hour (if you don't get mugged).

Comment

CUK is damn good for this sort of advice since there are plenty of posters who know loads of places and travel routes.

Since it was first suggested to me on here I've used Stanmore as a place to park and take the tube into London repeatedly, saved me loads of hassle.

Comment

Working...
                      X