• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why would a Labour win be bad for you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Ok. Correction. Higher taxes are no problem if you earn less than £100k. Which I do.
    That explains why you are thinking of voting Labour. You're a pleb!

Comment

ID cards and similar unreasonable intrusion into my life "for my own good".

Comment

Labour will have to increase their tax take to try and service the debts they have run up. They will talk tough on hitting the high earners, but in reality will simply end up hitting the middle income earners like us. The Tories will be much more likely to try and achieve stability by cutting extravagant spending on public services. There are lots of savings to be made there that will have less effect on those of us working in the private sector, and that is where any fair-minded government ought to be starting their efficiency drives.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

If the Tories get in there is a reasonable chance they will scrap IR35. If Labour hold on to power then many contractors will get shafted.

To Labours credit however, they do like to spend vast amounts of money on diabolical IT projects. Kerching! Even if you're not on the public sector gravy train, you are benefiting indirectly from reduced competition/higher rates. Now if we can just find a way to keep Bob out the picture....
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Just curious, if Labour win the election, why would that be bad for you, as in, you personally ?
            My fuel costs will keep going up and the real value of my savings (including pension funds) will go down. I'll also have less money in my pocket because the only way to start stemming the tide is to raise taxes again.

This is caused by Labour having no coherent plan for reversing the structural deficit, or for encouraging the private sector (particularly manufacturing and agriculture) in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              If the Tories get in there is a reasonable chance they will scrap IR35. If Labour hold on to power then many contractors will get shafted.
              You reckon - they'll "clarify" it - that's for sure. Careful what you wish for though - you might prefer Labour's fuzzy definition.

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004817.html

Kate Cottrell, an expert on IR35, welcomed the review and said many small business, particularly one-person contractor companies, would regard it as good news.

"Given the state of the UK finances, I expect some improvements will result for traditional small businesses with the reduction in red tape," she said.

"But I also expect there will be little to celebrate for contractors, as it would be naïve to think that any simplification could result in anything other than significantly increased tax/NIC bills in line with all the political parties commitment to 'fairness' in the tax system."

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                ID cards and similar unreasonable intrusion into my life "for my own good".
                WHS+++
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What labour just don't get
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The frikkin cider tax will be reinstated. W*****s. Funny how they choose a beverage that comes exclusively from Tory / Lib Dem areas. Can't imagine they'd slap a similar swingeing increase on the piss they produce oop north!

Comment

Labour plans to continue its policy of replacing the whole population with cheaper immigrants and to ship what's left to Asia.

Comment

Working...
                      X