• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway average speed cameras

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a few of the villages near where I live there are signs that tell you how fast you are going, and, if above the limit, politely ask you to slow down. When my speedometer reads 50kph, I'm generally doing about 45kph.

The thing is, if you're doing 45mph, or 50mph, the chances of it making a significant difference to your overall journey time is small - depending on the length of the journey. I used to commute half way round the M25 and back again every day. I discovered that I kept overtaking the same lorry on any particular trip (i.e. different lorry each journey!). So I changed my driving. At the first sign of congestion, move into the left hand lane. No tanking it, no hard acceleration or deceleration. Keeping a good distance from the car in front - slowing down if overtaking meant getting into a crowded lane.

My journey times became less and I arrived far less frazzled.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      At the first sign of congestion, move into the left hand lane. No tanking it, no hard acceleration or deceleration. Keeping a good distance from the car in front - slowing down if overtaking meant getting into a crowded lane.

My journey times became less and I arrived far less frazzled.
      Agreed - I do the same. I got tired of passing lorries only to be passed again 10 minutes later.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        Agreed - I do the same. I got tired of passing lorries only to be passed again 10 minutes later.
        In a traffic jam, always stick to the slow lane ..... remember that rule, it will save you a lot of heart ache!

Comment

In a few of the villages near where I live there are signs that tell you how fast you are going, and, if above the limit, politely ask you to slow down. When my speedometer reads 50kph, I'm generally doing about 45kph.

The thing is, if you're doing 45mph, or 50mph, the chances of it making a significant difference to your overall journey time is small - depending on the length of the journey.
          It does depend on the journey. I once had a weekly commute with a 5-hour drive on Monday morning, all on motorway. I soon worked out that a 10% higher speed would (roughly) get me to work half an hour early, which was worth the difference.

Comment

I find the higher my average speed, the less time the journey takes.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              It does depend on the journey. I once had a weekly commute with a 5-hour drive on Monday morning, all on motorway. I soon worked out that a 10% higher speed would (roughly) get me to work half an hour early, which was worth the difference.
              Exactly how long was 'soon' to 'work out' that 10% of 5hours is 0.5 hours?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Exactly how long was 'soon' to 'work out' that 10% of 5hours is 0.5 hours?
                Thanks for reading the "filler" words carefully and ignoring the content

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I find the higher my average speed, the less time the journey takes.
                  The trick is to get a higher average speed. It's not achieved by sitting in the overtaking lane six inches off the bumper of the car in front, nor by momentarily achieving 90mph. Nor by weaving from lane to lane - unless you have a blue flashing light on top of your car.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The trick is to get a higher average speed. It's not achieved by sitting in the overtaking lane six inches off the bumper of the car in front, nor by momentarily achieving 90mph. Nor by weaving from lane to lane - unless you have a blue flashing light on top of your car.
                    I once did Manchester to Swindon in 2hrs 15mins.

I once did Manchester to Swindon in 5hrs 30mins.

I quite often do Swindon to Manchester in 4hrs plus...

Comment

I normally click on the cruise control at 54ish and this does seem to see me past a large number of others. Rumour has it that changing lanes between cameras will work too but I ain't in that much of a hurry to risk it.
                      On the subject of getting stopped, I thought that they wouldn't bother for anything under 80 especially with the potential danger on a motorway - errr, wrong - got pulled on the M62 (apparently Cheshire are among the worst) on a sat morning. Probably doing 77 (so probably 72ish in real money) saw the copper but thought I would be fine. I wasn't, he pulled me over and gave me some grief but I made sure I agreed with him and said sorry and he let me off !
                      Do you know why I pulled you over ? Dunno, were you bullied at school ?

Comment

Working...
                      X