• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got done for a bus lane violation.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you want to do is drive a foreign registered car.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      I particularly like the effect when I drive my car in Cambridgeshire, where I can see a flash in my rear view mirror every 200 yards.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yes, I'm really sore about this issue, I've never had any motoring offence in >30 years of driving. I'm still wondering how many more of these little surprises are going to drop through my door this next week while I'm darn sarf. Needless to say, I'm staying in a different area closer to the office this week.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Does the "clingfoil over the reg plate" trick still work (if it ever did) ?
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Write a letter to appeal it. Cite road safety or some such. They'll usually let you off first time if you bother appealing.
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              My own fault, because I'm stranger to an area I was in all last week (not far from Wembley) and I got a penalty notice this morning relating to last Monday night. It looks like when turning left in the car at a round about, I drove into a bus lane for about 5 or 8 yards (I guess) in error when making the left turn. What a plonker I am, but now I have to sit to see how many more "mistakes" I made last week. Could turn out to be an expensive week if any more of these turn up over the next few days. I never realised that councils had cameras focussed on catching otherwise innocent folk like this. How naive I am.
              The 20 metre rule - The guidelines for enforcement of bus lanes in London (and we suspect elsewhere) state that the operator should observe a vehicle travelling along a bus lane for at least 20 metres before he issues a Penalty Charge Notice. We hear of many instances where vehicles receive a penalty charge notice when they have clearly not travelled along a bus lane for 20 meters. For example simply cutting off the end of a bus lane or not able to avoid the first couple of metres or swinging in and out when a car in front suddenly stops. Councils are aware of this guideline but quite often ignore it. If you have received a PCN in these circumstances you should immediately write to the local council and point out that they did not operate within the guidelines. You could even complain to the local government ombudsman. There is also something called the crossover exemption and the adjudicators have also mentioned the 20 metre rule in relation to this exemption. (see cases below) 20 Metres is approximately 5 car lengths. There are exceptions for example if the bus lane itself is less than 20 meters long.

Did you simply turn left across a Bus Lane - You are allowed to turn left across a bus lane and to enter the bus lane shortly before the turn. provided the left turn itself is permitted. Bus Lanes should either have a broken white line (on major turnings) before a junction or a gap in the solid white line (on minor junctions). The broken white line should start at least 30 metres before a major junction or the solid white line should stop at least 10 metres short of a minor junction. You should appeal if you simply made a permitted left turn across a Bus Lane and did not travel in it for 20 metres or more or if the broken or solid line is not set back. Local authorities should not enforce an incorrectly marked bus lane which we understand could be a criminal offence if the signs are also incorrect.. Also either a bus lane is marked correctly or it is not. If it is not then the whole bus lane is, in our opinion, unenforceable.

http://www.buslanes.com/bus-lanes/me...ds-for-appeal/
              Last edited by Paddy; 4 April 2010, 12:00.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Thanks Paddy.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Thanks Paddy.
                  You're welcome
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm waiting to see if I get done by a camera for something I did last week. Dropped someone off on in the drop-off area between St Pancras and Kings Cross, then made a U-turn to get back to Euston Road.

Afterwards checking if that really was the right drop-off area for Kings Cross I found that the road was one-way for ordinary vehicles, the queue of black taxis lining up in the opposite direction on the Kings Cross side of the road was just there to help fool you.

As far as I can tell using Google streetview, there's no way someone who entered the road from the south could have known that a U-turn would have him breaking the selective one-way rule. There is a sign on the north entrance to the road that only taxis may enter, from that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Does the "clingfoil over the reg plate" trick still work (if it ever did) ?
                      Dunno. But taking the plate off works. Or get a digital one you can program in from inside the car.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X