• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Large Hadron Collider – Live!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    We're all going to DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, I know. I just don't know when, but it will probably be within the next 80 years. Quite impressive bit of precision forecasting, given that our universe is thought to be about 14 billion years old.

*This post intentionally uses patented HR numpty logic.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      The only problem I have with your faith in science is the fact that I won't be able to say "I told you so" if I'm right.
      There might be another universe specially reserved for know-it-alls. Will you be happy in the company of AtW, Sasguru and their ilk?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        The only problem I have with your faith in science is the fact that I won't be able to say "I told you so" if I'm right.
        You might manage to get it in if this feed goes off or you see a white light...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It’s obvious that everything is going to be alright. If it was not then there would be ripples coming back through space-time. This would show up as things like high multiple sigma economic events, people making poor choices for their political leaders, etc. I ask you, do you see anything like that happening?
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Live Feed from the CMS cavern. First collisions immenent.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Live Feed from the CMS cavern. First collisions immenent.
              very good, it had me for a split split second there
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Do I have time for a pizza before they destroy the world?
                It’ll be my favourite ham, mushroom, artichoke and olive pizza, just in case.

Comment

7 TeV = about 1.12 × 10-6 joules of energy.

My morning poo weighs approx 200g, and will be moving at about 2m/s when it hits the water (based on my dispensing appuratus being approx 20cm from the surface of the water). This gives it a kinetic energy of 0.4 joules, which is about 36000 times as much as a collision in the LHC.

I think we are going to be OK.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Do I have time for a pizza before they destroy the world?
                    It’ll be my favourite ham, mushroom, artichoke and olive pizza, just in case.
                    Nope

12.07pm: Fabiola Gianotti, head of the Atlas team:
                    "We got something like 40 events per second, which is the expected rate.
                    "It's the beginning of a new era of physica exploration."
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                      7 TeV = about 1.12 × 10-6 joules of energy.

My morning poo weighs approx 200g, and will be moving at about 2m/s when it hits the water (based on my dispensing appuratus being approx 20cm from the surface of the water). This gives it a kinetic energy of 0.4 joules, which is about 36000 times as much as a collision in the LHC.

I think we are going to be OK.
                      You're right, we will be OK, but just wait until I've digested my artichoke pizza in a couple of hours. Timespace may be somewhat warped.

Comment

Working...
                      X