• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some bad news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    He should go for an R&D job with one of the pharma companies in Basel, and quadruple his pay.
    get him on the contracting route, there must be work out there for a guy like him.

WHS
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      get him supply teaching, there must be work out there for a guy like him.
      ftfy
      If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        Correction - last in first out.
        That clearly breaches age discrimination legislation as clearly those who are older will have been there longer.

Also since I was at primary school in London teachers have been made redundant or retired off due to school reorganisations. I have a friend recently who was made redundant who is a teacher in London.

So some public sector jobs in schools have never been secure regardless of what government is in power.

Funny thing was though while my schools were getting rid of primary, arts, biology and humanities teachers they could only find a trainee Physic teacher (left to go to private school for more money) and a retired Chemistry teacher to teach us.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
          Just been informed by my brother that he's been made redundant from his job as a science teacher. So much for the security of a public sector job

Apparently Devon County Council are implementing cuts and it's on a first in first out basis. He's got a young family & a huge mortgage & I don't fancy his chances of finding another teaching job anytime soon.
          We'm don't need none of that fancy-dan scientific malarkey down here in Devon thankee very much. Lessen he knows 'ow to patch up my Tractor!!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Times Educational Supplement

Quick look and found 82 Geography Teacher/Lecturer position.

Saw this one in Devon

http://www.tes.co.uk/JobDetailsbronz...slt=57&UK=true

Hope it helps.
            MDD

Comment

Aren't they still paying golden hellos for people training as maths/science teachers? Maybe that initiative actually worked too well . We see quite a lot of secondary school jobs, but few primary jobs... and it seems everyone we know has done a primary PCGE or plans to. When my wife visits a school looking to apply, there's invariably a horde of NQTs (just-graduated teachers) and because teachers are on a fixed payscale, said NQTs are considerably cheaper.

Grr.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Science teachers are so necessary. Get rid of the geography teachers for goodness sake!
                Nothing wrong with geography either (or history).

Now if you'd mentioned Numpty's suggestions of media studies, social studies or history of popular music, I'm right behind you.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Aren't they still paying golden hellos for people training as maths/science teachers? Maybe that initiative actually worked too well . We see quite a lot of secondary school jobs, but few primary jobs... and it seems everyone we know has done a primary PCGE or plans to. When my wife visits a school looking to apply, there's invariably a horde of NQTs (just-graduated teachers) and because teachers are on a fixed payscale, said NQTs are considerably cheaper.

Grr.
                  While in every part of the country they have more primary school teachers than needed ( and they have for at least 3 years according to a two teacher friends of mine) only in a few parts of the country do they have too many secondary school teachers.

So if you want to be a Maths teacher in London you won't have a problem getting a job. Simply because so few people do Maths degrees.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

History is fine. Geography is a waste of space. No pun intended.

Of course, the psychic teachers saw it coming and switched three years ago to alternative career options.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

But one of Labours new policies - should they get re-elected - is to turn Britain into a high tech economy.

How does sacking science teachers fit in with this?

Comment

Working...
                      X