• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Irish public sector take 13% pay cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    It's certainly not going to happen over here.
    It seems as if the British goverment are in denial of the recession that has hit this country hard and still awarding public sector pay rises.
    It already has happened. Public sector employees in Britain, like private sector employees, have in effect taken a pay cut, by the devaluation of the pound.
    Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Indeed, but look at this example from one of the respondents;

I'm currently training to be a speech and language therapist. I guess Libby thinks I will be a bit greedy with my starting salary of £20,710 at the end of my four year degree course. Does she really think that this should be cut to £18.018, putting me in the bottom 2% in terms of graduate pay? How satisfying to be entering such a valued profession.

Is 18000 pounds per year really such a low income for someone who is probably 22 years old, has only just qualified and has virtually no experience? I really don’t think so.
      It does appear that the people at the top % of wage earners haven't dropped a penny in salary while those at the bottom are told they must do it. I ask, has a single politician come forward and asked for a reduction of their salary?
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Well he does do a more socially useful job than you.
        Public sector jobs are sometimes more productive than private sector ones.

HTH
        HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Not the ones I've seen matey...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          It does appear that the people at the top % of wage earners haven't dropped a penny in salary while those at the bottom are told they must do it. I ask, has a single politician come forward and asked for a reduction of their salary?
          No they've just opted for a 1.5% pay rise
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Have the Irish government set a good example for others to follow, in just getting people to ‘bite the bullet’ and accept cuts?
            Ireland is a very different place to the UK.

It needs the Irish members of the forum to provide greater insight than I have but it seems to me that Ireland's recent prosperity is very recent, and the people living there can remember what it was like to live in the economic doldrums and are therefore in a better position to accept a reality check than people in the UK will.

I don't think that the people in the UK will accept that reality check until it is forced upon them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
              Ireland is a very different place to the UK.

It needs the Irish members of the forum to provide greater insight than I have but it seems to me that Ireland's recent prosperity is very recent, and the people living there can remember what it was like to live in the economic doldrums and are therefore in a better position to accept a reality check than people in the UK will.

I don't think that the people in the UK will accept that reality check until it is forced upon them.
              Yup, you are so right. And I'm sure Nora (I think we are a similiar age) will back me up here. I've been in the UK for 16 years, I left when I was 18. I remember when I was in secondary school and almost everyone from each leaving cert class (A Level) who didn't go to Uni at home, left for England or America or Australia - anywhere other than staying at home. It kinda changed a couple of years after I left home and less and less people were leaving home which I presume was the whole Celtic Tiger malarkey.

One thing is for sure, people have long memories at home, we had a hard time for a long time and it's back again
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Public sector workers will get a pay rise. They form the major element of a Labour party vote bank and as long as Labour are in power public sector will get nice wages, great pensions and other perks.

If the govt cannot borrow anymore and has to seek IMF help we can hope of some sort of public sector cull. Beware of posters like DimPrawn who will interject here and explain that a public sector cull will result in a massive recession. That will not be the case and those massively over paid workers will be forced to take up jobs in the private sector and contribute something to the economy.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Ireland has very little manufacturing, not a great deal of tourism and a bit of a service sector. The crash was always going to be hard.

I'm just pissed off that when my clan left they came to the 'just a wee bit better' place.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Public sector workers will get a pay rise. They form the major element of a Labour party vote bank and as long as Labour are in power public sector will get nice wages, great pensions and other perks.

If the govt cannot borrow anymore and has to seek IMF help we can hope of some sort of public sector cull. Beware of posters like DimPrawn who will interject here and explain that a public sector cull will result in a massive recession. That will not be the case and those massively over paid workers will be forced to take up jobs in the private sector and contribute something to the economy.
                    What private sector jobs?

Most jobs in UK have been created by the public sector particularly in places in the NE.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                      If the govt cannot borrow anymore and has to seek IMF help we can hope of some sort of public sector cull.
                      IMF money will come with the cut public spending strings attached, as it did in 1976.

My concern is that it will take something that drastic before the UK will finally act.

Comment

Working...
                      X