• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RAV4 Woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Not meant for off road, they are really a girlies car for the school run
    WHS

For hairdressers and female school teachers only. They are about as rugged as the average blancmange.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      WHS

For hairdressers and female school teachers only. They are about as rugged as the average blancmange.
      Disagree.

Unless you like greenlaning, it'll handle occasional lumpy stuff with aplomb, ours has coped admirably in the single track we've taken it on - parents place on edge of Dartmoor, and hills up to chalets in the alps. That said, if the tracks were deeply rutted we'd be knackered as the clearance isn't massively high.

It drives a close to a car as any 4x4 and does close to 40mpg - in fact it's good fun to chuck around and eats motorway miles, even when packed to the gunnels with snowboards and other kit.

If you don't need a big 4x4, then it's a better choice than a Freelander which are overhyped crap.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Disagree.

Unless you like greenlaning, it'll handle occasional lumpy stuff with aplomb, ours has coped admirably in the single track we've taken it on - parents place on edge of Dartmoor, and hills up to chalets in the alps. That said, if the tracks were deeply rutted we'd be knackered as the clearance isn't massively high.

It drives a close to a car as any 4x4 and does close to 40mpg - in fact it's good fun to chuck around and eats motorway miles, even when packed to the gunnels with snowboards and other kit.

If you don't need a big 4x4, then it's a better choice than a Freelander which are overhyped crap.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8NPH...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIoORCXEniA
        Last edited by Paddy; 22 March 2010, 22:08.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

We had fun in the snow. Our drive was pretty steep and had a very narrow gateway. My Yaris could quite happily sit on the steep angle, but my friend found his RAV could not... the moment he took his foot off the brake, even with handbrake on and in forward gear, it just rolled/slid down the drive into the gate.

Funniest was his wife had warned him about it after nearly hitting, he assumed she was doing it wrong and promptly broke some pieces off
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            WHS

I would agree it's not a proper offroader, but it's certainly better than a standard car if only due to higher ride. And the 4WD was very helpful in the snow I'm told... though I guess a regular car with 4WD would have been the same.

I don't know if it's the case, but to me the RAV is just a Corolla with a higher chassis and 4WD.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Next time we take it up to the Alps, I'll post a youtube vid

In fact, there's no need - plenty of geeks have already done it...

Fun
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jXKfP_L2zs

Don't need chains all the time
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f62sQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTBG2fuGD4c&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUZvk...eature=related

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I don't know if it's the case, but to me the RAV is just a Corolla with a higher chassis and 4WD.
              Much nicer to drive than a Corolla.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

back to the original post, twas the gear linkage. Should be sorted by Thursday

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                  Happy days!!!

Comment

Happy it was a cheap fix!
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Thursday? Are they flying it from Japan?

Real Off Road
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X