• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RAV4 Woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried bleeding the radiator?

Sorry............couldn't resist.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
      Can't select reverse, 1st or 2nd gears (i.e. anything that requires a shift over to the left). Happened all of a sudden yesterday afternoon.

Any mechanically minded folks out there? Please tell me I haven't got a knackered gearbox. Car's only got 16k on the clock!
      RAV4 are known for gearbox problems, especially on cold mornings. That said it is generally jumping out than refusing to go in.

So, in the first instance, especially if you have kids, I'd look for anything obstructing the gate etc. etc.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

After searching for the problem on Google, I have read enough to put me off from ever buying a RAV4
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          After searching for the problem on Google, I have read enough to put me off from ever buying a RAV4
          I've had no problems at all up to now. That said, there are only 16000 miles on the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Really? Everything I've ever read suggests legendary reliability.

Edit: & ours has nearly 80000 on the clock with no gripes except the occasional dashboard squeak which I think is due to the IceLink I installed.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've had no problems at all up to now. That said, there are only 16000 miles on the clock.
              Ahhh, you must be having the "I wish I'd bought a Range-Rover" moment round about now.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Ahhh, you must be having the "I wish I'd bought a Range-Rover" moment round about now.
                Well I doubt that it's up to any serious off road abuse no, though that wasn't the reason I bought it. I took it out in the snow back in february & went through a snow drift which knackered the plastic (!) bash plate. £250 to fit a new one.

Comment

Get shot of it and buy mine:
                  http://slimrick.jalbum.net/1999-Niss...3-GT-R-V-Spec/
                  A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

If you read the tinterweb about anything to do with reliability of cars or bikes, you'd never buy one. Folk only ever post about trouble.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Well I doubt that it's up to any serious off road abuse no, though that wasn't the reason I bought it. I took it out in the snow back in february & went through a snow drift which knackered the plastic (!) bash plate. £250 to fit a new one.

Not meant for off road, they are really a girlies car for the school run
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X