• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House shares vs hotel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking into this at the moment too. First time staying away from home that's being paid for by me, rather than the client.
    Have booked B&B for next week and whilst there, will go visit a few rooms that people are renting out - going for house share. Already been in contact with a couple of people I found on spareroom.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      You can buy what I think Americans call a "Marine battery" which can store quite a hefty charge and is much more forgiving to being drained than a lead acid battery. Recharge it at work and use that for power in the caravan, though you might limp a bit carrying it around.
      I think you mean a leisure battery, but that may be giving away a dirty secret. If I remember correctly the plates are bigger and the battery is less suited tohigh cranking amps need to turn over a car engine but more suited to repeated charge/use cycles.

I am a member of the caravan and camping club....shhh don't tell anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ruth11 View Post
        I'm looking into this at the moment too. First time staying away from home that's being paid for by me, rather than the client.
        Have booked B&B for next week and whilst there, will go visit a few rooms that people are renting out - going for house share. Already been in contact with a couple of people I found on spareroom.co.uk
        Good luck with your search, not starting your gig in Kent are you?

And goodluck with the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
          Staying in London, as I've said before to general disgust, I use one of the seven Youth Hostels in town. For the last few months they've had a special offer of £9.95 per/night, though that finishes at the end of March. Hidden treasures, I tell you. Four nights sleep right in the centre of London for less than the cost of 2hrs on the train.
          Now thats an idea to explore a bit more. I used to stay in YH's when I was younger and didn't have kids.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
            I was thinking about a mobile kinda of home. A colleague has one and just finds places to park it (caravan parks etc) close to where he's working. Not nice in the winter however. All you need is an electric and water connection and plenty of pot noodles to keep you going during the week.
            A bit different, but I like it. Although looking at the campsite.co.uk campsite search there isn't a campsite nearby. Nearest one is ilse of sheppy.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
              I think you mean a leisure battery, but that may be giving away a dirty secret. If I remember correctly the plates are bigger and the battery is less suited tohigh cranking amps need to turn over a car engine but more suited to repeated charge/use cycles.

I am a member of the caravan and camping club....shhh don't tell anyone.
              Yeah, it looks as if they are called leisure batteries in the UK, and Halfords sell them as such. They aren't suited to cranking an engine, but I think you know that. The point being you could end up paying a fortune staying on a camp-site for the sake of getting a few pence worth of electricity and water. Generators seem to be getting cheaper and quieter too, though not both in combination as far as I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Yeah, it looks as if they are called leisure batteries in the UK, and Halfords sell them as such. They aren't suited to cranking an engine, but I think you know that. The point being you could end up paying a fortune staying on a camp-site for the sake of getting a few pence worth of electricity and water. Generators seem to be getting cheaper and quieter too, though not both in combination as far as I've seen.
                I suspect that there might be "issues" in parking a mobile home at fairly random locations that aren't camp sites, it would take a pretty understanding client to allow use of their car park.

I'd never even thought about a Youth Hostel for accomodation on a gig, I suppose their standards are better now than the last time I used one over 25 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                  I suspect that there might be "issues" in parking a mobile home at fairly random locations that aren't camp sites, it would take a pretty understanding client to allow use of their car park.
                  I'd use a converted van rather than a mobile home, for stealth reasons.

Comment

Shared a house a few times, who you share with depends on just how cheap your are. Bible bashing freaks, illegal Zimbabwean imigrants, batty ex army types who complain if you leave a switch down on a socket with nothing plugged into it. Quite fun though, probably beats living on your own. Occasionally you get "lucky"

PS Paddy. Can't quite see the logic of the spend more money to pay less tax approach.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      At one contract, I stayed at the student halls of residence during the summer. That was bizarre.
                      I did that in Glasgow one year when I was a permie! Took the per diem on offer, and a group of us stayed in a student flat (each bedroom with en-suite shower), cleaned every day, and they left a variety pack of cereal each day as well.

They had better digs than in my day
                      If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                      X