• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House shares vs hotel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to save some pennies why the flip are you travelling first class?

The train won't get there any quicker, or are you one of those MPs who thinks standard class is for "a different kind of person" ?

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
      Should add - if you are in London, PM me if you are interested - a mate of mine runs a company that acts as a "virtual landlord". That's who I went through, but he wasn't in charge at the time.

I've just emailed him my requirements for a new 3 month gig in London, and am waiting for a decent place to come free.
      No. But I will be running through London at around 7:30 on a monday morning usually though to make my way from Birmingham to Gillingham and the other way of a Friday afternoon.

If anyone knows of a house share in Gillingham though, feel free to PM me.

Comment

I tend to look on the house share websites and I've always found suitable places. As long as the landlord provides a receipt it's easy to expense too.

I greatly prefer it to stopping in hotels if I'm going to be there past a couple of weeks for the factors others have mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post

The train won't get there any quicker, or are you one of those MPs who thinks standard class is for "a different kind of person" ?
          Because you might actually get a seat, somewhere quiet, and a decent breakfast.

Also, if it's on Virgin, then if you do so many first class journeys in a set period, then you join their Traveller programme. Which entitles you to free first class weekend travel - a weekend being Friday 12pm to Monday 10am (departure time). So, if you book enough in advance - you can still do the weekly commute for free. I did it when I was contracting in Reading and again in Watford.
          If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

It is a one off for next week only. It was only a few quid more at the times I am travelling this week and you get fed and watered.

Also, no I am but a lowly engineer. In fact, I have never even been in first class on a train and the only time I ever flew business class was when I had just reprogrammed the engine controllers on the plane and the airline had payed(?) for the ticket. So, sorry I'm not one of "those"
            Last edited by conned tractor; 19 March 2010, 15:28.

Comment

I've been a lodger a few time - but always through "friend of a friend", so I knew they were ok. Twice, they refused to accept more than £60 a week (during the '90s)!

I've done the flat/house share a couple of times - but with colleagues. Fortunately, we didn't often work together on stuff, so that kept work from spilling over.

At one contract, I stayed at the student halls of residence during the summer. That was bizarre.

Nowadays I'd go for a family hotel. Hotels because I don't want to hoover, or change sheets or clean toilets, and family-run, because I hate the souless impersonality of the big hotels. The last time I stayed in a family hotel, with stunning views across Lake Geneva, I spent one night per week sampling different whiskies with the chef, once he'd finished in the kitchen.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
                Because you might actually get a seat, somewhere quiet, and a decent breakfast...
                I did a contract at Leamington Spa. The second class ticket was £2.60 from Birmingham Airport (two stops). The first class was £3.80. But included a newspaper, a bacon sarnie, a cup of coffee, a place to put my luggage and a guaranteed seat. And freedom from the hoi-palloi.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The last two weeks I've found that First Class London-Manchester is £57, Standard Class £108. I presume this is freak of the booking system. Previous weeks I've got Standard Class for £29. Anyway, off down the station in an hour or so to try out First Class train travel for the first time in my life. I've done Business Class on the plane a few times, but not the train. Hope I don't get too accustomed to it.

Staying in London, as I've said before to general disgust, I use one of the seven Youth Hostels in town. For the last few months they've had a special offer of £9.95 per/night, though that finishes at the end of March. Hidden treasures, I tell you. Four nights sleep right in the centre of London for less than the cost of 2hrs on the train.

Comment

I was thinking about a mobile kinda of home. A colleague has one and just finds places to park it (caravan parks etc) close to where he's working. Not nice in the winter however. All you need is an electric and water connection and plenty of pot noodles to keep you going during the week.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                      I was thinking about a mobile kinda of home. A colleague has one and just finds places to park it (caravan parks etc) close to where he's working. Not nice in the winter however. All you need is an electric and water connection and plenty of pot noodles to keep you going during the week.
                      You can buy what I think Americans call a "Marine battery" which can store quite a hefty charge and is much more forgiving to being drained than a lead acid battery. Recharge it at work and use that for power in the caravan, though you might limp a bit carrying it around.

Comment

Working...
                      X