• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House shares vs hotel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    Now thats an idea to explore a bit more. I used to stay in YH's when I was younger and didn't have kids.
    You stayed in YH whilst doing a contract?

That's the sort of thing I'd consider doing with a very low skillset, but why bother contracting at all if you have to jump to the cheapest accommodation possible? Where have all the tales of money and glory gone?

I'm younger than most who post here, and I'd really not feel comfortable taking a crap rate and staying in a really bad B&B or bad youth hostel. I stayed in youth hostels when a young teen visiting London, and they were really not great, but you expect that given the very low price.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
      I was thinking about a mobile kinda of home. A colleague has one and just finds places to park it (caravan parks etc) close to where he's working. Not nice in the winter however. All you need is an electric and water connection and plenty of pot noodles to keep you going during the week.
      One contract I was thinking of that but then did the sums. They are priced for people on holiday and not for continual living. I found that it was cheaper to rent a room in a house rather than the cost of living in a mobile caravan on an official site. Plus you get the added advantage of sleeping in a proper building!

I agree with much of the above. Hotel for the first few weeks and then rent either a small flat or house - or maybe rent a room in the house of the house owner.

Comment

Originally posted by larson View Post
        You stayed in YH whilst doing a contract?

That's the sort of thing I'd consider doing with a very low skillset, but why bother contracting at all if you have to jump to the cheapest accommodation possible? Where have all the tales of money and glory gone?

I'm younger than most who post here, and I'd really not feel comfortable taking a crap rate and staying in a really bad B&B or bad youth hostel. I stayed in youth hostels when a young teen visiting London, and they were really not great, but you expect that given the very low price.
        No I stayed in youth hostels in the lake and peak districts as short breaks when I was younger, with a couple of mountain bikes in the car - had some good times. Try reading the whole post. Someone else said they stay in a youth hostel in london and I don't really think the suggestion warrants ridicule. I am grateful for all of the suggestions.

How does staying in a youth hostel correlate to a low skillset exactly? My skillset isn't exactly bad and, yes, I would consider staying in a youth hostel.

Comment

Personally I've always preferred hotels. I have stayed in shared houses and I have also stayed in peoples houses renting a room, but I feel you always have to take other people into consideration.

So IMO, it depends on your rate. £80 inc vat aint much out of £350 excluding in my opinion, but it would be out of £160. So I reckon it depends on your rate.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Have you considered a B&B? I've been staying in a clean, basic B&B for £25/night including full english breakfast, wifi and TV. I get a proper lunch in site cafeteria. I might pop to the supermarket for a snack in the evening, then off to the pub if there's anyone else there who fancies it. Made some good friends too, among the other long termers.
            "take me to your leader"

Comment

I'm currently stopping in a travel lodge and paying £200/week

I've looked at serviced apartment and they want £500/week.

B&B's/Gues houses are charging £60/night - so on price I'm probably at the cheapest.
              I do miss the option to cook an evening meal and getting sick and tired of eating out.

Comment

I used mondaytofriday.com on my last contract in wimbledon and lodged with a nice lady who had a studio at the back of her house with a bedroom and bathroom. It was a lot cheaper than a hotel/B&B, but I found that I couldn't relax as I was in someone elses home. I rented a great flat when I was in Glasgow, but the project got canned and I was left paying rent for the dam place, plus all the poll tax, water rates etc..
                Currently I'm staying in hotels. The holiday inn has a two for one deal at the mo until the end of May, (google- ihg 2 for 1) so Its costing me between 120 - 180 a week for clean comfortable accommodation, with breakfast and free wifi in the lounge area. I'm quite happy with that.
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I would steer clear of shared houses unless you´re sure they´re doing the same sort of thing working there during the week. I would say a bedsit is preferable because, usually, you get your peace and quiet. A good option is a small B&B with some retired lady (that´s what they usually are), these places are usually quiet and you get a good breakfast.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by larson View Post

Not all youth hostels are bad.

They are trying to get the more mature adult market and families to use them rather than just teenagers, those in their early 20s and those on stag/hen dos.

Like with halls of residents, people who use them now want much nicer and better facilities then years ago.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Not all youth hostels are bad.

They are trying to get the more mature adult market and families to use them rather than just teenagers, those in their early 20s and those on stag/hen dos.

Like with halls of residents, people who use them now want much nicer and better facilities then years ago.
                      On the whole, wouldn't someone on a lower rate prefer some of the cheaper B&Bs and youth hostels? In my experience, particularly with youth hostels a while ago, the cheaper ones were nasty. Mid-range not so bad, as you may expect. But mid-range can end up being the same price as a decent B&B.

Comment

Working...
                      X