• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DBAs and women

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DBAs and women

They just hired three more DBAs. They are all women. Is this a trend or not?

What's so attractive about being a DBA for a woman?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Have you seen the state of them yet though?

The women DBA's I have come accross have tended to be short, fat, and pretty plain.

Technically they are gifted though

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
      They just hired three more DBAs. They are all women. Is this a trend or not?

What's so attractive about being a DBA for a woman?
      Getting to work with buff guys like you, of course.

Comment

there's something about tidying up bit of unusued database space and making queries look prettier and nicer that appeals to us!
        Other than that, maybe it is because it is actually a job where you need to be organised and good at interfacing with users
        Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
          there's something about tidying up bit of unusued database space and making queries look prettier and nicer that appeals to us!
          Other than that, maybe it is because it is actually a job where you need to be organised and good at interfacing with users
          LOL "interfacing with users" ALL dba's men and women are USELESS at interfacing with users.

Comment

Well you see being a DBA is all about "Cleaning up" or "cleaning" the data and one talks sometimes of "Babysitting" the database when it goes in to production.

Its these kinds of things that appeal to women.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

You've got it BB! A database is a big baby really - unable to do anything by itself, it needs pampering, developing, handling with care, and repairing when men... err I mean developers mess it up!

Harry, it is a popular misocnception that DBAs never interface with anyone. In fact, we interface with people much more than developers - a lot of our work is about fixing problems, a bit like front-line support
              Chico, what time is it?

Comment

DBAs

are they blondish with big boobs ?

Comment

Beccy,

I only have met a few decent DBA's in my life and all three of those worked in the same team.

The rest have been about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest

Comment

On one site I worked at - Viatel I think it was. There was a problem with the production Oracle DB and it went into inconsistent mode and would not start stop or anything. Well the contract "DBA" there did not know what to do.

I would like to say that it was a woman, but he wasn't.
                    Anyway he is now a permy I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X