• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: DBAs and women

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DBAs and women"

Collapse

• sappatz
    replied
    DBAs

some DBAs i have met were the best of the bunch. I think its actually degrading for a DBA to deal with all those clueless users.

Leave a comment:

• s2budd
    replied
    On one site I worked at - Viatel I think it was. There was a problem with the production Oracle DB and it went into inconsistent mode and would not start stop or anything. Well the contract "DBA" there did not know what to do.

I would like to say that it was a woman, but he wasn't.
    Anyway he is now a permy I think.

Leave a comment:

• Harrysp
    replied
    Beccy,

I only have met a few decent DBA's in my life and all three of those worked in the same team.

The rest have been about as much use as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest

Leave a comment:

• sappatz
    replied
    DBAs

are they blondish with big boobs ?

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    You've got it BB! A database is a big baby really - unable to do anything by itself, it needs pampering, developing, handling with care, and repairing when men... err I mean developers mess it up!

Harry, it is a popular misocnception that DBAs never interface with anyone. In fact, we interface with people much more than developers - a lot of our work is about fixing problems, a bit like front-line support

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Well you see being a DBA is all about "Cleaning up" or "cleaning" the data and one talks sometimes of "Babysitting" the database when it goes in to production.

Its these kinds of things that appeal to women.

Leave a comment:

• Harrysp
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    there's something about tidying up bit of unusued database space and making queries look prettier and nicer that appeals to us!
    Other than that, maybe it is because it is actually a job where you need to be organised and good at interfacing with users
    LOL "interfacing with users" ALL dba's men and women are USELESS at interfacing with users.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    there's something about tidying up bit of unusued database space and making queries look prettier and nicer that appeals to us!
    Other than that, maybe it is because it is actually a job where you need to be organised and good at interfacing with users

Leave a comment:

• Sergeant Apone
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    They just hired three more DBAs. They are all women. Is this a trend or not?

What's so attractive about being a DBA for a woman?
    Getting to work with buff guys like you, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Harrysp
    replied
    Have you seen the state of them yet though?

The women DBA's I have come accross have tended to be short, fat, and pretty plain.

Technically they are gifted though

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    started a topic DBAs and women

DBAs and women

They just hired three more DBAs. They are all women. Is this a trend or not?

What's so attractive about being a DBA for a woman?

Working...
X