• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

White British actresses told to leave Bollywood

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Hmmm Raj Thackeray - sounds very Indian - like being called David Atwal
    It's an Anglicised version of the Marathi name Thakre. This guy's uncle is Bal Thackeray (a far-right loony), who changed his name to resemble the novelist William Makepeace Thackeray.

Basically, the story is about nutters rather than any actual Indian policy - same as stories about the BNP "banning curry", or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
      It's an Anglicised version of the Marathi name Thakre. This guy's uncle is Bal Thackeray (a far-right loony), who changed his name to resemble the novelist William Makepeace Thackeray.

Basically, the story is about nutters rather than any actual Indian policy - same as stories about the BNP "banning curry", or whatever.
      Well that's as maybe..........but what about the exchange plan? Still a flyer?
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        It's an Anglicised version of the Marathi name Thakre. .....
        I once dated a girl with surname Thakrar. She was American Indian, I mean like an Indian born and raised in the U.S.

B**ch.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Not really if you're in charge of evaluation. One look at you and the boatload of Indian lovelies will no doubt mutiny and force the captain to return to Mumbai at double speed.

Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            If you cover travel and expenses I'll happily do a reccy for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              She was American Indian, I mean like an Indian born and raised in the U.S.
              Not a squaw, you mean? Shame. That's a word you don't hear much nowadays. Funny thing happened the other day. My kid's school sent home a letter asking for them to bring in Indian costumes next week because they were going to do an Indian dance in morning assembly. Cue my missus going into a massive rant about where the f*** are we supposed to get a Red Indian outfit from these days and what do the school think they are f****** playing at, etc etc. I had to point out that they've been studying India this term and that the letter said "an Indian costume", with no mention of Apache or Arapaho and no health and safety warnings about tomahawks. That could have been embarrassing. Instead, she just needed to find a white shirt and a few beads. Sorted. Bring back Red Indians and squaws though I say.

Comment

A considerable number of Indian people that I used to work with in the Middle East were acutely embarrassed by the whole Bollywood thing & basically thought it a crock of sh1t. Why, they wondered coudn't their country's film industry make proper films like they did in America instead of featuring wailing dance troupes on some remote Scottish Hillside.

Comment

Few Bollywood things I've seen look like that old Fred Astair/Ginger Rodgers guff. Awful.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I used to watch Mahabharata whilst devouring chicken when I got home from the pub. Didn't have a scooby what was happening in it.

I blame the chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Not really if you're in charge of evaluation. One look at you and the boatload of Indian lovelies will no doubt mutiny and force the captain to return to Mumbai at double speed.

Nonsense. These people worship cattle for pete's sake. Someone as "beefy" as me would be like a magnet to them.
                      If I get word that they also have a penchant for Mr Bean, I'll PM you.
                      BTW..........don't say Mumbai........it is Bombay.....and always will be IMHO.
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X