• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The World's 3rd Largest Employer...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Shall we invade China based on these figures ?? The old imperial England back at its very best !
    Lokoing how badly they manage holes in the road, street lighting and other basic things we expect from them I am sure this will be a little out of their league! lol
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      And I thought the UK's public sector was larger than China's.
      I thought it was; public sector pensions are greater than the GDP of China.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
        Actually the UK Public sector employs more people (5.4m) than both the Indian Railways and Chinese Army... combined
        According to Wikipedia - Total Chinese Army is 7,024,000

However, as this is a friendly discussion I don't mind reading other points of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          According to Wikipedia - Total Chinese Army is 7,024,000

However, as this is a friendly discussion I don't mind reading other points of view.
          http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1050197.ece

Originally posted by Times
          Only the Chinese Army and the Indian State Railways are believed to employ more people — with 2.3 million and 1.5 million staff respectively
          Looks like Wikipedia includes the paramilitary "People's Armed Police"

What DID catch my eye was

Available for military service:
          654,229,201 males, age 16–49 (2009 est.),
          429,058,000 females, age 16–49 (2009 est.)

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            I thought it was; public sector pensions are greater than the GDP of China.
            I suspect I dug that little badly remembered gem from QI, but I am unsure about it. And it might have been percentage of something or other rather than absolute numbers.

Comment

I can't see why the public sector could easily drop around 200,000 posts -for all the extra spending, up 70% in 13 years - the public services do not seem to be 70% better.
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Lokoing how badly they manage holes in the road, street lighting and other basic things we expect from them I am sure this will be a little out of their league! lol
                That's local government - different from public sector.

The NHS is also different like the police and fire service.

Well according to people who work in the relevant sectors.

I think they describe themselves due to the pensions they get so MPs get the best pensions while local government workers who aren't teachers or the chief exec types get the worse ones.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Unsustainable - it has to change but how?
                  Ooh! Ooh! Sir, I know, pick me sir!

Simple: get rid of a load of public sector employees and replace them with contractors who cost more and are themselves put in place by the big consultancy firms that charge even more on top of that

Of course that would end up being more expensive than keeping the original people on

There's something that always confuses me: why is it that a company employing one or two people when it starts and growing to perhaps thirty employees in its first year can, during that year, successfully provide a reliable online service to many millions of people across the globe - yet the big consultancy firms, charging many millions of pounds and employing/subcontracting hundreds of supposedly competent techies, can't get even the most basic five-page web application working reliably for a small proportion of the UK population after three to six years of extortionately expensive effort?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    http://www.fixmystreet.com/

It works pretty well

Comment

It would be easier to report parts of the road without potholes.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X