• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - A reprise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read ZAMM when I was a spotty youth (and a biker...)

I did throw it across the computer room one evening in frustration (the only time Ihave done this) but it did have some interesting ideas, and introduced me to the minds of the mentally ill and BMW riders...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I did throw it across the computer room one evening in frustration (the only time Ihave done this) but it did have some interesting ideas, and introduced me to the minds of the mentally ill and BMW riders...
      On a BMW motorcycle you don't have to keep re-jetting the carburettors every time you go up and down a bit of a hill. That's what I'd call 'quality'.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Me too. I threw it across the room because it was toss. Then I jumped on my motorbike and went for a ride in the real world.

Much better!!!
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          The ale probably helps - Immanuel Kant was a real pissant, apparently. Linky.
          Originally posted by zeitghost
          Proper song about philosophers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQycQ8DABvc
          There's an echo in here....
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

... 'the maths of maths' - that doesnt make sense
            I guess Category Theory is the nearest thing.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              what he is saying is that gravity is real to you - thats the way you are trained to think
              witch doctors are real to African tribesmen - thats the way they are trained to think
              ghosts are real to Indian villagers - thats the way they are trained to think

in the context of the way the brain works, what is actually true, in the sense of laws of phyics, doesnt matter.

Are those beliefs equivalent in effective value? Clearly not, since using the theory of gravity man has gone to the moon (even though philosophers and other nutters will claim that is a figment of your imaginative perception).
              Beliefs in witch doctors and ghosts are products of a backward culture.
              And if you don't agree, you can't judge suicide bombers - after all its just the way they are trained to think

Gave up on ZAMM by the way - not bad in places but like I said not a book that will stand the test of time. Gone back to Montaigne's essays - now that's proper philosophy, not mere pot noodling
              Last edited by sasguru; 2 March 2010, 15:33.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

sasguru hath spoken. Here endeth the lesson.

Comment

Working...
                X