• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Are People Keen To Get Out Of IT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
    Any programming task should take a few days at least to write test deploy and then document

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Well spotted.

The only time a programming task takes that long is when you need to bill the customer in hours or days.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
        Cos it is Tulip.....

I only got into IT (many eons ago) because it paid more than not....
        I can do IT (generically).... but I don't really enjoy it
        I find IT easy (generically).... ditto
        It pays me pretty well (mostly).... which is good

but the stuff I really enjoy is "people"....

When I say "I don't enjoy it" I don't mean that I don't enjoy any of it cos:
        I do enjoy technical challenges....
        I do enjoy problem solving....
        I do enjoy teaching stuff....
        I do enjoy learning stuff.....
        but once I have done that.... its all down hill...

Contracting is "better" cos at least I get to move on... meet new people... learn new stuff... solve new stuff.... teach new stuff.... but after a while its still more of the same....
        I have tried a few Plan Bs which have worked after a fashion... but in the past I have always come back to "selling old rope" cos it pays so much without too much hard work.....
        I have never agreed with a post more than this in my old life. If not for the bloody ZX81 I got as a kid I'd probably be a bloody millionaire by now as opposed to always falling back into the comfort zone of IT Contracting!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I can think of 122 reasons.

Comment

How about becoming a GP?

Pay is over 100K, and all you have do to is dish out valium/antibiotics/corn plasters. You dont even have to draw blood, that's what nurses are for

I could swear that today's doctors are googling your symptoms when they are tapping away at their computers.
            Last edited by SantaClaus; 27 February 2010, 23:19.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster
              Cos it is Tulip.....

I only got into IT (many eons ago) because it paid more than not....
              I can do IT (generically).... but I don't really enjoy it
              I find IT easy (generically).... ditto
              It pays me pretty well (mostly).... which is good

but the stuff I really enjoy is "people"....

When I say "I don't enjoy it" I don't mean that I don't enjoy any of it cos:
              I do enjoy technical challenges....
              I do enjoy problem solving....
              I do enjoy teaching stuff....
              I do enjoy learning stuff.....
              but once I have done that.... its all down hill...

Contracting is "better" cos at least I get to move on... meet new people... learn new stuff... solve new stuff.... teach new stuff.... but after a while its still more of the same....
              I have tried a few Plan Bs which have worked after a fashion... but in the past I have always come back to "selling old rope" cos it pays so much without too much hard work.....
              Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I have never agreed with a post more than this in my old life. If not for the bloody ZX81 I got as a kid I'd probably be a bloody millionaire by now as opposed to always falling back into the comfort zone of IT Contracting!
              Yep, I couldn't agree more. Describes exactly how I feel about IT, especially the bit about contracting.

Comment

It strikes me that this question is predicated on the assumption that one chooses to work in a given field because one hopes to establish a career therein.

I do stuff I enjoy doing, and find people who will pay me for it. This is one of the reasons going permy isn't an option for me - eventually I'd have to do something that doesn't interest me but would still have to do it because "it's my job" and then I'd just leave.

I have never had a career, and I hope never to have one. I have had an enormous amount of fun doing work that I enjoy and making a living at it

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
                  What can you possbly do in four hours - That is just bulltulip - Any programming task should take a few days at least to write test deploy and then document
                  Well, you've obviously worked in a wide range of industries on a wide range of technologies with a wide range of project methodologies...

But for the benefit of those who've only ever had one job in one small cubicle...

I received this morning a bug report for one of our products. I diagnosed the fault, explained to the client what they need to do to get the application working again (it's their environment that has the problem, not the app), applied an enhancement that means if the problem happens again, they'll get a helpful message from the app, and shipped the patch. All within an hour. Oh yes, I tested it as well.

At the same time I'm developing another product, with a complex UI, and complex data structures that I've been working on for 18 months now, and consider that it will be a month or so before I've got the prototype ready, and probably another year before version 1.0 is up and running.

Such is the range encompassed by the phrase "programming task".

( I've never understood why there is so much fuss about documentation... most program documentation is write once, read never. Anyway, good code should be self-documented. But I do a lot of work in a validated environment, so that will never change... ).
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    You can become a house builder or plumber...
                    To a business, IT is like the plumbing or the electrics, in that, rather than water or electricity, you are piping information.

I've used computers in my work for 30 years. I've even programmed them to help do my job. But I don't consider myself to be "in IT", I just use it.

Comment

I'm seriously thinking about retraining to become a provincial accountant for the rest of my days.

Anything has to be more interesting than my current gig.

Comment

Working...
                      X