• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote support software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Yes, no probs. You need RIB (lights out) cards fitted. Remote in and away you go. I know an old sever that does this ad-hoc F1 thing and I just remote to it and charge my old client an hour for doing so. Best of all with a mini laptop it can be done from anywhere.
    I asked him!

Also - you should have just switched off F1 thing in BIOS rather than charging your client for server "fixing"

We use IPMI cards, suits us nicely...

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Web ex Support Center is the thing I was looking at. How did you get prices for meeting center?
      There is "Cisco WebEx Meeting Center (sic)" and there is "Cisco WebEx Remote Support" but I cannot see a "Support Center (sic)"

I cannot get the "Buy now" link to work on either Firefox (a weird HTTPS error) or IE ("page not found").

But the last FAQ gives prices.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        We use a Russian bloke and never let him go home, especially at weekends, suits us nicely...
        FTFY
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          I asked him!

Also - you should have just switched off F1 thing in BIOS rather than charging your client for server "fixing"

We use IPMI cards, suits us nicely...

They never asked me to solve the problem, only "its not comming up" extra beer money comes in handy.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            I cannot see a "Support Center (sic)"
            It's here.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              They never asked me to solve the problem, only "its not comming up" extra beer money comes in handy.
              That's not very professional attitude - you should have advised your client that a better solution would be to switch that option off in BIOS.

Comment

Copilot from Fog Creek Software, Joel Spolsky's company.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Copilot from Fog Creek Software, Joel Spolsky's company.
                  I was about to say that. Never used it but it sounds cool, have you tried it?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Haven't read the entire thread but depending on what you do I recommend Radmin.
                    Fantastic tool it is . You have to pay for it (one off) but no subscriptions.
                    I use it to remote in to my desktop at home. I use DynDNS which enables me to get through to my wireless router via a domain name, and have my wireless router configured to forward to my desktop PC at home. The desktop also has a static IP on my LAN, so the router will aways successfully forward to my PC.

All I have to do is to run the DynDNS software if I reboot my desktop at home (or restart the ASDL router maybe) which updates the DYnDNS.org server with the current IP and then all traffic is directed to my desktop.

BTW, Radmin also has a built in FTP and Telnet, opening a Dos command prompt (without seeing the desktop) and works well over slowish connections. I have a bad 3G connection at work but can still FTP files down to my personal laptop fairly quickly and without failure, even though using a web browser on the same machine can result in errors due tothe slow connection.

Oh, just realised you would need a licence for each machine the radmin server is installed on which makes it expensive
                    Last edited by SuperZ; 13 February 2010, 17:03.

Comment

Crossloop.

Comment

Working...
                      X